Subject: RE: [legalxml-econtracts] Schedule for IPR Transition or TC closure

Hi everyone,

  I'm a bit confused about the statement that the schema is non-normative; the specification is for a schema intended to
describe contract documents. From the specification abstract:

"This is the specification for the OASIS eContracts XML schema developed by the OASIS LegalXML eContracts Technical
Committee. The eContracts Schema is intended to describe the generic hierarchical structure of a wide range of contract
documents. The TC envisages that the primary use of the eContracts Schema will be to facilitate the maintenance of
precedent or template contract documents and contract terms by persons who wish to use them to create new contract
documents with automated tools."

  Section 1.3 of the specification goes on to talk about the features summary of the eContracts Schema.

  Section 3.3 declares the normative XML Schema syntax:

"The eContracts Reference Schema is provided in Relax NG compact syntax, XML Schema (XSD) and as a DTD. The Relax NG
compact syntax version is normative."

  Section 3.5 declares 4 files as the reference schema:
eContracts-Reference.rnc
eContracts-core.rnc
dc-metadata.rnc
xi-include.rnc

  I must express my concern that it appears that the last official act of the TC will be to submit the committee draft
for public review. There will be very little time to incorporate feedback and vote for Committee Specification,
particularly if errors are found in the schemas as currently packaged since any change to them would potentially be
substantive and require an additional public review period. I would like to reinforce Jamie's urging to consider
transitioning. There is no requirement that the TC remain open for any length of time following the transition, and with
this underway the TC can rest assured that the work can be seen through completion.

Regards,

Mary