legalxml-enotary-comment message

Subject: PRIA-OASIS-NotarySchema-Comparison

This comment relates to the "PRIA-OASIS-NotarySchema-Comparison
dated 2008-06-17 by Arshad Noor.

For section 1, NOTARY/NotaryPublicType, I observe that the
legalXML approach requires both a notary commission number and
a commission expiration date. Some states, such as Vermont, do
not number the commission. At least one state, Louisiana, commissions
notaries for life. If the officer performing the notarial act is
not a notary, but has notary-like powers by virtue of some other
office (judge, for example), these fields may be inapplicable even
in those states that do have numbers and expiration dates for their
commissions. Also, see discussion of section 3 regarding the required
USAddressType

For section 2, Name/PersonNameType, I observe the legalXML approach
is usually superior because some cultures place the person's surname
first, while others place it last. It does not, however, deal with
the use of a modified form of the father's name as a last name,
as is done in Iceland. Even if there is no desire to address
notarizations that occur outside the USA, it is still necessary
to recognize that an alien who is visiting the USA may need a
notarization while here.

For section 3, the question is asked "Question: Is the Bond
number a requirement for an eNotarized document's
NotaryCertificate? No. Some states, such as Vermont, do not
require bonds.

In the element USAddressType, which is required in NotaryPublicType,
the county and state are required. If this approach is intended
to accommodate military notarizations, these may not apply. The
specimens of military acknowledgements I've seen do not show the
physical location of the notarization. The physical location need
not be in the USA; it may even be secret.

Also, State and County are not ideal words to use for US territories.

For section 6, IDCredentialType, I observe that REAL ID Card is really
an attribute that may be associated with some other IDCredentailType,
such as Drivers License or Identity Card, but it isn't an independent
type of card.

Gerry Ashton