Subject: FWD: Re: The role of the human notary (was Federate Identity (was: RE: Jon Udell: How to forge an S/MIME signature))

PRIA has announced that it will be posting a new version 2.0 proposed Notary DTD to its website. John Jones may be able to provide a url and some IP rules for participating to those who are interested.

I am cross-posting a thread from the ABA ISC dealing with machine-based authentications that ends with some comments about an enhanced need for human notaries. It was prompted by a weblog by Jon Udell which discussed an experiment in forging a cert to fool Aunt Tillie into believing that Bill Gates was the author, though in fact the cert was issued by Thawte to a different ficititious identity altogether. The url of the weblogb can be found at the very bottom of the cross-posting, in the first communication.

This group is currently working on notarial use cases or scenarios. I think one that is very difficult to analyze in these terms is the civil notary, who is a legal technician as much as a professional authentication agent. As such the art and craft of the civil notary does not seem to lend itself well to automation, except perhaps to generate checklists of matters to be followed in electronic format, other than the electronic tools for authentication being discussed for common law notaries.

Any different views?

From:         jmessing <jmessing@LAW-ON-LINE.COM>
Date:          Fri, 26 Mar 2004 00:02:50 -0500

This is precisely one reason why the eTrust subcommittee of the Science and Technology Section has taken the view as a committee that in-person notarizations may well become more of a necessity in the electronic world than they have been in the paper world, at least in the 21st century.

The Federal appellate case of In Re Pirhana is a good example. The opinion was circulated to this eList by Jon Stanley a few months ago.
The opinion basically allowed a corporate director to withdraw an electronic signature on the grounds that he did not intend to sign the electronic document, even thought it was electronically signed and sent at his request through attorneys. The legal effect of the document, a resignation letter, was important in a fight over corporate control of the fate of the company.

The court of appeals had the good sense to depublish the opinion. The judges seemed to sense that they did not know what really was before them, and they were fumbling.

The opinion is murky on the communications that were issued by the director to the attorneys and the procedures for verifying his identity and contemporaneous intent to sign, which could have been easily remedied by an in-person notarization, traditionally conducted except for the fact that the documents were electronic.

The notary, or authentication professional, as the new role is becoming defined, can testify as direct evidence of what was said and how it was reasonably interpreted in ways that juries and judges can intuitively grasp without having to learn about the intricacies of new technologies. The notaries are subject to traditional tools of cross-examination. Credibility determinations do not require expensive witnesses with doctoral degrees. Juries make them all the time.

The eTrust subcommittee recognizes that there will be a probable expansion, not contraction, in the role of the notary or successor professional for electronic signing involving significant financial or governmental interests.

A court trial over whether the notary is lying is a lot cheaper to conduct than one involving armies of experts arguing about whether a technology worked as it was supposed to and would achieved the desired result even if it did.

New forms of notarized transactions, perhaps involving real-time financial information, may be in the offing as well.

Machines can't testify. Only people can testify. Either about what people did and said, or alternatively, about whether machines operated as they should and whether that was good enough anyway.

For further information, please feel free to contact me off-list.

John Messing
Law-on-Line, Inc.
3900 E. Broadway Blvd., Suite 201
Tucson, AZ 85711