legalxml-legislative message

Subject: Re: [legalxml-legislative] Draft of Potential Part 1 of Replacement forWashington DC Meeting in September - Part 2 in November

Don -

I thought this looked good, but then got carried away with editing.  I really only have a couple of items that I'm wedded to.

1) I have a little bit of concern with the "greeting" segment.  Coming from the business side of the house, I read "legislative community" narrowly as just originators and so think rather quickly that this does not apply to me before I get to the body near the end where you describe the term legislative community as including originators, distributors, and consumers.  I think the easiest fix is to just eliminate the greeting phrase.  The style of the document is more toward announcement which needs no "greeting" to the addressee rather than a letter.

2) I suggest spelling out the NCSL and NALIT acronyms.  As these may be new and unfamiliar organizations to those on the consuming end of the continuum.

3) I'm torn between preannouncing Working Session #2 and not including it.  On the one hand, I like the idea of building enthusiasm for materials becoming tangible quickly which is suggested by the second working session.  On the other hand, I don't want people to read this invitation and decide to just wait until session 2 to be involved.  See what you think.

Thanks,
Kelly D. Ray
Senior Manager
Advisory Services
PricewaterhouseCoopers

(home office) 972-881-2420
(voicemail/fax) 214-853-4264
(cell) 972-896-5834
kelly.ray@us.pwc.com

"Bergeron, Donald L. (LNG-DAY)" <Donald.Bergeron@lexisnexis.com>

07/27/2004 04:13 PM

legalxml-legislative@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
"Bergeron, Donald L. (LNG-DAY)" <Donald.Bergeron@lexisnexis.com>
Subject
[legalxml-legislative] Draft of Potential Part 1 of Replacement for Washington DC Meeting        g in September - Part 2 in November

Legislative Documents Technical Committee

                                                                                                July 30, 2004

Initial Announcement & Agenda

OASIS LegalXML-Legislative 1-day Face-To-Face Workshop

September 7, 2004 – Burlington Vermont

Collocated with NCSL – NALIT & Legal Services Staff Section Professional Development Seminars

Members of the Legislative Community,

OASIS LegalXML invites you to join the current members of the Legislative Documents Technical Committee for the first in a series of periodic face-to-face working sessions.  This meeting is open to all Originators, Distributors and Consumers of Legislative and Regulatory Information!

In this first workshop, we will identify the various needs for Data Standards in the Legislative and Regulatory Community and prioritize our work in addressing those needs, with the following specific objectives:

In this upcoming session, we will be expanding our outreach to the community in an interactive participatory workshop targeted at incorporating the diverse needs and objectives from the various constituents in the legislative and regulatory continuum into the Technical Committee's charter and prioritizing the work of the technical committee in accordance with the goals and the specific near term needs of these constituents.

The format of the workshop is designed to engage all the participants in both in the identification and prioritization of this effort and to expose potential members to one of the more effective workshop methods used in the XML Standards Community.

In order to foster rapid and effective implementation and adoption, standards must recognize and account for the diverse viewpoints in its conceptualization and design. Once goals and requirements are accounted for, prioritization and planning can be done effectively. Please join us in giving this effort a solid start.

Donald L. Bergeron / Daniel Bennett

Co Chairs Legislative Documents Technical Committee

Please Contact us at:

donald.bergeron@lexisnexis.com or (937) 865-1276

Visit us at:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=legalxml-legislative

(Initial Agenda available on back side of this page)

Initial Agenda
Understanding Legislative / Regulatory Community

Time Block 1 – 1-5 PM EDST