legalxml-odr message

Subject: [legalxml-odr] Minutes of Kick-Off Meeting

The is a near final draft of the minutes of the kick-off meeting of the Legal XML OdrXML Technical Committee. The text appears below.

Meeting Plans

Reminder: There is no formal meeting scheduled during the ABA Mid Year meeting in Seattle. Based on a discussion and a poll we felt more people would be at the ABA Dispute Resolution Section in San Antonio March 20-22..

Notes on the minutes:
A first cut draft was circulated to the attendees we recorded. There is also a list of individual who express an interest in attending or keeping up with the work of the Technical Committee. These names are combined at the end into a TC Roster with eMails.  If anyone else was in attendance or wishes to be added to the roster, pls send a private note jik@jkeane.com  Let us know if you are a member of OASIS.

Thanks to everyone who attended and all those who resounded to the RSVP and polls. We will cross post this to other ADR lists next week. Please send any comments or addition to the roster for the final draft by close of business Monday, February 10.

All the best,

Jim Keane + Debi Miller-Moore, Co-Chairs
Daniel Greenwood, Vice-Chair.
OdrXML Technical Committee
Legal XML/ OASIS

LegalXML/ OASIS

OdrXML Technical Committee

Minutes of Initial Teleconference

The OdrXML Technical Committee held its first conference call on December 5, 2002 from 5:00 to 6:30 EST using web conferencing software to the review the charter during the call.  After introductions, (see, attendee list below) the group reviewed and affirmed the goals set forth in the charter.

A key and recurring point of discussion was about keeping an even balance between ODR for eCommerce and traditional ADR that is in transition to web services.

Glossary:  We discussed and agreed to utilize the term "Neutrals" to categorize arbitrators, mediators and other ADR providers generally.

Statement of Work

1) Identify Stakeholders: There was consensus that the first order of business is to identify stakeholders in the development of OdrXML standards.  The stakeholders should include neutrals and neutral organizations, ODR providers, and referring entities such as courts or corporations that might utilize ODR providers and would also wish to monitor progress and closure of referred matters

2) Functional Requirements: The next task discussed was development of high level, functional requirements for the different phases and aspects of online dispute activity.  We discussed building on the work of eContracts, Court Filing, ebML and other standards already adopted by OASIS and related organizations.

3) Technical Specifications: The group discussed using the ODR schema developed by the EU Joint Research Centre.  The general conclusion was that this may have been developed independently of other standards activities, particularly the work of LegalXML, and that we needed see if the concepts, data model and data dictionary can be harmonized with other work.

There was general approval of utilizing the data dictionary, object repository and data model developed by the Integrated Justice Technical Committee developed at Georgia Technical Research Institute.  We need to determine how much can used and to what extent we need to supplement this work with specialized tags, roles and attributes unique to ODR, as well as work process elements such as BPML (Business Process XML) under development by Computer Sciences Corporation, as noted in a pre-meeting eMail by Debi Miller-Moore, Co-Chair.

4) Gather Resources: The final undertaking was to collect links, citations and resources about ODR on the TC's web site.  OASIS is in the process of switching it web site management and document repository to new vendors.  We agreed nevertheless to conduct and eMail exchange to identify resources, criteria and a process to collect them.

To wrap up this discussion, we also agreed to use the eMail list to identify stakeholders, develop functional requirements, discuss data models, compare existing standards to OdrXML needs, and gather resource material and links for the Technical Committee group page on OASIS.

Future Meetings

The group reviewed potential meetings of OdrXML during the ABA Mid Year Meeting in Seattle during February 2003 and at the Annual meeting in San Francisco in August.  It was noted that the Dispute Resolution Section is holding a multi-day educational conference with ODR seminars at their conference in San Antonio from March 20-22.  The specific ODR courses are noted at the end of these minutes. http://www.abanet.org/dispute/conference/brochure.pdf  [In subsequent discussions and a poll we concluded the DR section meeting in March was a more promising forum for a face to face meeting.]

Ethan Katsch also proposed consideration of the UN ODR Forum on June 30, 2003 in Geneva, which might be an excellent forum to have a dialogue with OdrXML folks from around the world.  http://www.unece.org/press/pr2002/02opa09e.htm (Notice of 2002 meeting)

Respectfully Submitted

Jim Keane + Debi Moore

Co-Chairs, OdrXML Technical Committee

Legal XML / OASIS

Attendees

(Based in part on  RSVP List)

Don Bergeron - Lexis-Nexis) Chair , LegalXML Steering Committee) Donald.Bergeron@LEXISNEXIS.COM

David Baron - Web Mediate  - david@webmediate.com

Rolly Chambers, Smith Curry (Charlotte) rlchambers@smithcurrie.com

Scott Donahey - sdonahey@tzllp.com

Mark Eckstein,  SquareTrade - mark@squaretrade.com

Dana Haviland - Online Dispute Resolution - dhaviland@onlineresolution.com

Ethan Katsch - Center for Information Technology and Dispute Resolution, University of Massachusetts - katsh@legal.umass.edu

Jane Juliano - JAMS -  jjuliano@igc.org

Jim Keane - JKeane.Pro  jik@jkeane.com

Lawrence Leff - Western Illinois University, Dept of Computer Science  of

John Messing , Law-on-Line, jmessing@law-on-line.com

Paul Nicolai - paul.nicolai@niclawgrp.com

Colin Rule AAB Associates - rule@raabassociates.org

Hon. Alice D. Sullivan (Ret.) Private Judge, Inc. ads@privatejudge.com

Note on Attendance

We held the meeting via a web conference and teleconference.  We reserved a bridge based on the number of RSVP's.  Gratefully, we had more last minute attendees. Bad news, we had limited telecon seats and several of our key players were not able to attend so I was a bit overwhelmed with running the meeting, setting up the web conference, fielding last minute eMail and taking roll.  All this caused confusion about who was there.  If we left you off the attendeed list or the list of people who wanted to attend, please send a private eMail to jik@jkeane.com to correct this.

Credits

INet Legal Network, a provider of online seminars for Continuing Legal Education provided the WebEx software facilities.

On RSVP list but Unable to Attend

Hon. Arthur M. Ahalt (Ret), Virtual Courthouse - amhalt@virtualcourthouse.com

Ben Davis - Professor - Texas Wesleyan Law School bdavis@law.txwes.edu

Dan Greenwood - MIT dang@mit.edu

Atul Grover - Verizon - atulgr@rediffmail.com

Jeffrey Joel - Law Student - Univesity of Indiana - jjoel@indiana.edu

Dr. Lawrence Leff, Western Ill University - D-Leff@wiu.edu

Anne McNaughton - a.macnaughton_brune@sbcglobal.net

Debi Miller Moore - AAA - MooreD@adr.org (OdrXML Co-chair - stranded in snow storm at airport)

Anita Ramastasy, University of Washington  - arama@u.washington.edu

Dana Tait, taitlaw@msn.com

James Macpherson, National Mediation - jmacpherson@nationalmediation.com

OdrXML Technical Committee Roster

As of 2/7/2003

* Member of OASIS, entitle to Vote; others will have observer status

1.      * Hon. Arthur M. Ahalt (Ret), Virtual Courthouse - amhalt@lexisnexiscourtlink.com

2.      David Baron - Web Mediate  - david@webmediate.com

3.      * Donald Bergeron - Lexis-Nexis - (Chair, LegalXML Steering Committee) Donald.Bergeron@LEXISNEXIS.COM

4.      * Rolly Chambers, Smith Curry (Charlotte)  -  rlchambers@smithcurrie.com

5.      Tony Cardona - tonycardona1@juno.com

6.      Ben Davis - Professor - Texas Wesleyan Law School -  bdavis@law.txwes.edu

7.      Scott Donahey - Tomlinson Zisko LLP - sdonahey@tzllp.com

8.      Mark Eckstein,  SquareTrade - mark@squaretrade.com

9.      * Dan Greenwood - MIT dang@mit.edu - (OdrXML Vice-Chair)

10.  Atul Grover - Verizon - atulgr@rediffmail.com

11.  Dana Haviland - Online Dispute Resolution - dhaviland@onlineresolution.com

12.  Ethan Katsch - Center for Information Technology and Dispute Resolution, University of Massachusetts - katsh@legal.umass.edu

13.  Jane Juliano - JAMS - jjuliano@igc.org

14.  Jeffrey Joel - Law Student - Univesity of Indiana - jjoel@indiana.edu

15.  * Jim Keane - JKeane.Pro  jik@jkeane.com (OdrXML Co-Chair)

16.  Matthews, Joseph ??

17.  * John Messing , Law-on-Line, jmessing@law-on-line.com

18.  * Dr. Lawrence Leff, Western Ill University -  D-Leff@wiu.edu

19.  Anne McNaughton - a.macnaughton_brune@sbcglobal.net

20.  * Debi Miller Moore - AAA - MooreD@adr.org (OdrXML Co-Chair)

21.  Timothy J. Mordaunt, Attorney-Mediator - attorney@timmordaunt.com

22.  Paul Nicolai - paul.nicolai@niclawgrp.com

23.  * Eddie O'Brien, Ringtail Systems eddie@ringtail.com

24.  Anita Ramastasy, University of Washington  - arama@u.washington.edu

25.  Colin Rule AAB Associates - rule@raabassociates.org

26.  Hon. Alice D. Sullivan (Ret.) Private Judge, Inc. ads@privatejudge.com

27.  Dana Tait, taitlaw@msn.com

ABA DR Conference - Courses on ODR

-          http://www.abanet.org/dispute/conference/brochure.pdf

Dispute Resolution Section

San Antonio, TX

March 20 - March 22, 2003

Friday March 21

10:15 - 11:45 Online Mediation: On Track or Out of Touch?

Gilbert Escudero, Irving, TX

Dave Renfro, Irving, TX

Kevin Buffington, Washington, DC

Bill McKee, Denton, TX

2:00 - 3:30

C4. Web-Empowered Partnering: Using Web-Based Communication Systems for Conflict Management, Dispute Avoidance, and Early Resolution of Construction Disputes

John Farnan, Pittsburgh, PA

Gerald S. Clay, Honolulu, HI

C15.  ADR in a High Tech World

Peter Michaelson, Red Bank, NJ

Sandra Franklin, Troy, MI

James Carmody, Houston, TX

D15. International Competition for Online Dispute Resolution:

Connecting Law Students Worldwide

David Larson, St. Paul, MN

Benjamin G. Davis, Fort Worth, TX

Ethan Katsh, Amherst, MA