materials message

Subject: RE: Questions regarding MatML

Andrew,

Sorry for the delay in reply.  The short answer to your question is that when it was originally conceived, MatML was designed to be as solution neutral as possible – the interpretation of the data would be up to the receiving system.

The OASIS Technical Committee that is now responsible for developing MatML (http://tinyurl.com/ygtjjw ) has received several comments such as yours, and it’s likely that a primary focus for development of MatML in the next development phase will be the ability to hook in a combined glossary/thesaurus, to aid common understanding of terms.  This would enable, for example, a MatML file to reference standard property definitions from recognised authorities, or for users to define their own, and to exchange information with other users about equivalency or otherwise of terms.

On a related note – It would be a great help to MatML if you would be prepared to allow a member of the MatML Committee to call you for 10-15 minutes to chat about why (or not!) you’ve decided to use MatML, and in general terms what your plans are?  It’s important for us to understand how it is being used in real world situations to help us figure out which bits to improve.

Craig Seymour

From: Andrew Cunningham [mailto:andrew.cunningham@esi-group-na.com]
Sent: 09 December 2006 18:59
To: Craig Seymour
Subject: Questions regarding MatML

Hi,

            I am looking at using MatML as a format for materials data interchange. I am a software engineer with an engineering background, not a materials expert, and am a bit confused about how the XML defined by the schema could be used for exchange of what I would call "simple" material data, for say an isotropic materials. For example, "Steel" has properties of, say, "Density", "Youngs Modulus" , "Possions Ratio". I can see how that can be defined as specific properties in the MatML XML, but how do I know that the another application reading the XML understands these property names. I suppose I am suprised the MatML schema does not define sets of "well-known" properties. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the expected purpose of MatML? Is it more for the exchange of experimental material data, not materials for engineering applications? The examples on the "Examples" web page are quite complicated - I would suggest adding some very simple materials.

Andrew

Andrew Cunningham

ESI US R&D

andrew.cunningham@esi-group-na.com

(858) 350 0057 x105

Intl: +1-858-350 0057

Confidentiality Statement:

This message is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain privileged, confidential information which is exempt from disclosure under applicable laws. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that you are strictly prohibited from disseminating or distributing this information (other than to the intended recipient) or copying this information. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail or by telephone at (858)350-0057.