mqtt-comment message

Subject: Re: [mqtt-comment] Server redirection

We are currently outside of a public comment period.

The MQTTv5.0 specification does not define how server redirection works other than that the server is allowed to pass a string property (Server Reference) in CONNACK and DISCONNECT when using the 0x9C(Use another server) or 0x9D (Server moved) return codes. These return codes and the property can be used by the client but the client is not required to do so. The spec does not define the format of the string, nor the processing at either server or client
This is a compromise as there was interest in the function but not the desire to fully specify the behavior of it.

As the client is by definition disconnected at the point of the redirect, presumably the server does the same thing it does for any other case of the client being disconnected.

Ken Borgendale -- kwb@us.ibm.com