oasis-charter-discuss message

Subject: Comment: Proposed Charter for OASIS Web Services Federation (WSFED)TC

Comments on the draft TC charter submitted [1] to establish the WSFED TC:

1) In the "General Notes on Scope" section it says:

"If any of the above specifications is outside of a standardization
process at the time this TC moves to ratify its deliverables, or is not
far enough along in the standardization process, any normative
references to it in the TC output will be expressed in an abstract
manner, and the incarnation will be left at that time as an exercise in
interoperability."

It is not clear what 'far enough along in the standardization process'
means. Does that mean a CD, CS or OASIS Standard, if the
specification is being standardized in OASIS? Does that mean LC, CR,
PR or Rec if the specification is being standardized in W3C? This should
be explicitly stated in the charter.

2) We believe that OASIS Standards should have a high bar
for normative references. Increasingly, OASIS Standards are being
referenced and used by de jure standards organizations, which have
strict rules with regard to normative references, as well as
governments, profiling organizations such as WS-I and other standards
bodies. Regardless of the disposition of comment #1 above for CS-level
specifications, we believe that OASIS Standards should have only
normative references to final, adopted specifications.

3) We also agree with the comments at [2].

Thanks and Regards.

-Anish Karmarkar
Oracle
--