oasis-charter-discuss message

Subject: RE: [members] Proposed Charter for OASIS Semantic Mapping of XML (MOX) TC

Changed the title..

-----Original Message-----
From: Sabbouh, Marwan
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 10:25 AM
To: mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org;
oasis-charter-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org;
'tc-announce@lists.oasis-open.org'
Cc: 'Abbie Barbir'; HANANE BECHA; Paul Knight
Subject: RE: [oasis-charter-discuss] Re: OIC Pre-Launch Teleconference

Hi Darrel,

If I understand your question right,  I think you are asking how what
we're proposing to do differs from the semantic Web for orchestration.
What is different in MOX than the Semantic Web is that XML Schema
contains semantics that can be formalized into owl and RDF.  The
semantic Web stack simply states that RDF/owl annotates XML Schema.  On
the other hand, MOX aims to specify how RDF/owl are produced from XML
Schemas. Another difference is that mapping relations in the semantic
Web can be applied onto ontologies.  Using MOX, mapping relations can
be applied on XML schemas and ontologies.  MoX also specifies how
mapping relations generate mediation code which is not the purpose of
the Semantic Web.
I hope this helps.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, Marwan
*
* from: "Thomas, Darrel" <darrel.thomas@eds.com>