oasis-charter-discuss message

Subject: [CMIS] Add IETF DASL to related work and Search in Scope?

I see that the WebDAV SEARCH (formerly known as DASL) has been accepted as
an IETF Proposed Standard.  The RFC is not assigned yet, but the relevant
Internet Draft is
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reschke-webdav-search-18.txt

I notice that Search within a CM repository is not explicitly mentioned in
the CMIS scope as either in- or out-of scope.  Whether CMIS will
provide/expose means for search-based location of resources in a CMS should
probably be made explicit as in- or out-of-scope.  (I am aware of the CMIS
SQL section of the 0.5 draft for the Domain Model.)

I also notice that the wordings in 2A tend to read as arguments against
paying attention.  It might be useful to state that the other work is
recognized and perhaps the constructive ways in which CMIS contrasts or
complements such other work.  (In the current framing, the question "well,
why not work to extend those other works" is invited.)

I also think that the work on iECM at AIIM Standards needs to be identified
in this list.
http://www.aiim.org/standards/article.aspx?ID=29284

 - Dennis

PS: I am not attached to appearance of ODMA [and certainly not DMA] on this
list, although I can give you a line or two on ODMA if it seems relevant.
[I do have some thoughts about ODMA as an aid to simple-case migration to
CMIS, but that is unimportant with respect to the CMIS charter and may be
uninteresting as a practical matter as well.]

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org