oasis-charter-discuss message

Subject: Re: [oasis-charter-discuss] Proposed Charter for OASIS Content Management Interoperability Services (CMIS) TC

The proposed CMIS TC is building upon a substantial base of trail-
blazing work accomplished by the convening companies.  Having spent
some time studying the schema and Web service artifacts that are being
brought to OASIS,  I would like to encourage the CMIS technical
committee leadership to devote sufficient attention in the design of
the TC deliverables to embrace several core SOA architectural
principles that were not fully evidenced by the first iteration
artifacts:

*	Simplicity -- design the services and schemas to be easy to
understand and implement,

*	Extensibility -- incorporate thoughtfully placed extension points,

*	Scalability -- support collections to avoid chatty services and
implement message exchange patterns that minimize encoding and traffic,

*	Compatibility -- ensure the services can be easily used within as
many tooling and runtime environments as possible via conformance and
testing.

With regard to compatibility, I trust the CMIS deliverables will
readily support client and provider implementations based on the OASIS
SDO, SCA, and BPEL standards, as well as offer full conformance with
the W3C XML Schema, Namespaces, WSDL, and SOAP/JMS (XMS)
recommendations.

I fully expect that we will be able to embrace these important
architectural principles without extending the time frame for the
first version deliverables.

Gary Gershon
IMERGE Consulting
203-431-9328