oasis-charter-discuss message

Subject: Re: [oasis-charter-discuss] Proposed Charter for OASIS Content ManagementInteroperability Services (CMIS) TC

I urge the proposed TC to revisit the importance of Java JSR 170 and 283.

Speaking for JSR170, the work did a good job of establishing common
interfaces to the major content management systems. While the TC will be
defining XML specifications and bindings, the hard work of data model
and abstract capabilities was done in JSR 170.

For heterogeneous systems, interoperation is easier if there are common
operations and semantics. The TC, in my opinion, would produce a more
useful and interoperable specification by modeling JSR 170/283.

The same approach of taking the same concepts, semantics, and operations
and achieving consistency between WS-RemotePortlet and JSR 168 was
extremely successful, and in fact led to commercial applications (in
alpha) for WSRP being available the same week of the completion of the
standard.

There are other examples available -- common semantic underpinnings and
common operations lead to effective and early implementations.

bill cox