oasis-charter-discuss message

Subject: CES TC Comments

I included comments in the Google Doc but for completeness are repeating some of them here:

TC Name:

CES is a registered trademark of the Consumer Electronics Show - one of the world's largest events. I think you should disambiguate eg CESC. I don’t think CES would be likely to sue OASIS over trademark infringement, but might be better avoid possibility. Plus people looking for this group wouldn’t get 5 pages of CES ads in a google search before actually getting to OASIS.

(1)(d)Deliverables

Isn't there at least a possibility that standards (tech specs) will come out of this? If yes (which I would assume), you should mention possibility any of the 3 listed bullets may go standards track. This is important because it's painful to increase scope once TC is formed so you should be clear it's a possibility to keep that option open (you can always never get around to it). If no (ie you want tech specs to be outside scope), then why not form an OASIS Open Project instead of at TC?

(2)(a) Identification of similar work

* Overlap with OCA should be mentioned -easy enough to disambiguate but you should

* Overlap with the plethora of software supply activities should be explained. E.g. CISA (https://www.cisa.gov/sbom) software transparency work, LF SPDX, OWASP CDX, LF DBOM, IETF GitBom, IETF MUD, and … Some are just disambiguate, some might be actual overlap – which is ok but should be mentioned and explained why this better

* Overlap with NIEM Cyber domain (https://niemopen.org/, https://www.niem.gov/ ) should get mentioned and disambiguated if no overlap, and explain value prop is there is overlap

* Should the plethora of other ontologies get mentioned, at least some cursory words on why this different, and/or what this might use from them?

(2)(g) Anticipated Contributions

* Who is "we" that is contributing? Is it truly a joint effort of all 7 proposers from 4 companies? What if someone else joins TC proposers – does that make them a coauthor of whatever contrib you are proposing?

* Is the White Paper and logical data attributes public? Would it be possible to include a link here in this google doc? Ok if you can't if it's still proprietary, but would be helpful if it was out there already

--

Duncan Sparrell

sFractal Consulting

iPhone, iTypo, iApologize