oasis-member-discuss message

Subject: comment on Artifact Identification Requirements

I'd like to reiterate my comment [1] to the "chairs" list made October
6, 2004 regarding the Artifact Identification Requirements being put out
by the OASIS TAB.  I do not feel that it is appropriate to embed so much
metadata into a file name, and instead prefer  an approach that is
something like what Norm Walsh lays out  in [2].  When I look across the
OASIS community at all of the specifications, I notice that most of them
do not take advantage of the benefits afforded to us by hypertext --
which includes numerous ways of embedding critical metadata into an
easily accessible and indexable part of the document.  The solution,
IMO, is not to avoid the tough, and unpopular decision to standardise on
an open publication format and shove all of the metadata into a file name.

Ideally, all OASIS specifications would be published in at least one
format: XHTML which would be run through a validation tool prior to
publication to make sure the proper metadata has been added to it.
Other formats such as PDF (for print fidelity) and Word/OpenOffice (for
editing, perhaps) can be optional.  The OASIS infrastructure can easily
be improved to work hand-in-hand with metadata embedded into the documents.

Respectfully,

Matt MacKenzie
Software Development Manager
Adobe Systems Incorporated