oasis-member-discuss message

Subject: Upgrading OASIS document and file management services

The next significant steps in upgrading OASIS document and file management functions, to support our technical committees, are a) the roll-out of a new document management service and its interface and b) the introduction of an in-house content versioning server.

OFFICIAL SUBDOMAIN    We plan exclusively to use the domain "docs.oasis-open.org" for public access to approved work product of its technical committees.  The "docs" subdomain is in optional use today.   By 'approved', we mean all work that has been approved under our TC Process rules as a Committee Draft, Public Review Draft, Committee Specification or OASIS Standard.  Normative use of this domain will simplify user and member access to the output of OASIS TCs.

We plan to permit TCs to elect to place other files there as well, or continue to use the current web-based database ("Kavi") document repository for those other documents.  During November we will issue advice on any constraints that should apply to artifact naming [1], based on input from our members, staff and Technical Advisory Board, and begin plans for possible replication or symlink of older legacy OASIS technical documents.

NEW UPLOAD GUI    To support mandated use of the "docs" subdomain, we will provide a new, simple web-based user interface for uploading technical documents to the "docs" domain.  Our technical staff expects to have this completed and available for production use by the end of the year.

CONTENT VERSIONING    OASIS technical staff also is installing a content version control system [2] for optional use by TCs for the management of highly-versioned documents.   Several OASIS TCs explicitly requested this functionality.   We are installing Subversion (SVN) software [3] which appears to fulfill all of the required and requested functions.  We also had considered using the older implementation CVS [4], but SVN appears to be easier for users, more firewall-friendly, and easier to integrate.

We also considered, but rejected, using a system like SVN as the exclusive document repository for all OASIS work, but its complexity, and the need to use client software for write operations, makes it unsuitable for everyday uploads of simple documents by users.  Therefore we expect it will be primarily useful for the editing of long-running, multiply-revised documents such as TC issues lists or complex specification drafts prior to approval.

Our technical staff expects to have this completed and available for production use by the end of the year.   We also will modify the public TC document displays at that time, to include pointers to any TC documents stored separately on the content versioning server.

FEEDBACK   OASIS Staff welcomes and requests your feedback about the usefulness of these new services as well as any other technical services provided to support TCs.  Please email your comments to oasis-member-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org.

[1] Original proposed guidelines in 2003:  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200302/msg00119.html

[2] Concept:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Version_control_system

[3] SVN software: http://subversion.tigris.org/ or http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ [4] CVS software: http://www.nongnu.org/cvs/ or  http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/

Peter Roden