oasis-member-discuss message

Subject: Re: [oasis-member-discuss] Re: [members] Membership and Public Review of OASIS Artifact Standard Identification Scheme for Metadata

[Somehow I overlooked Chris's comments. Generally, "+1" with a few
comments below]

/ William Cox <wtcox@comcast.net> was heard to say:
|> I would actually like to see OASIS incorporate such practice in the
|> ASIS for all namespace URI defined by its TCs, and would also like
|> to see this practice extended to all OASIS "products" such that
|> there were a product "page" that provided links to all of the
|> relevant
|> artifacts in RDDL form, with a location to hold all of the
|> "associated" metadata.
>
| What do others think? As I said, there was a lot of pushback on RDDL.

I don't recall reading the pushback on RDDL, but "and preference to
have an index.html or one of the other default HTML pages" isn't
related. RDDL is a mechanism for placing metadata in HTML.

|> line 620 - reads: "OASIS SHALL NOT guarantee any specific lifetime
|> to URNs in those test spaces for the TCs." which flies in the
|> face of the whole concept of a URN. Quoting from RFC2141 [2]:
|>          "Uniform Resource Names (URNs) are intended to serve as
|> persistent,
|>   location-independent, resource identifiers."
|> Thus, the specific lifetime of a URN is FOREVER. Period. Anything
|> else is an abomination of the whole concept of a URN, regardless
|> of its purpose.
>
| "persistent" doesn't mean "eternal." The resolvability of namespace
| URIs in general seems to create much heat (and a little light); the
| purpose of these "temp URNs" is to reserve URN space for those groups
| that consistently use URNs. If namespace URIs aren't resolvable
| either, that creates a problem for having something browsable at the
| namespace URI...

The whole notion of global testing URNs seems unnecessary to me. But I
no longer see value in URNs at all[1] so I didn't bother to comment.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

[1] http://norman.walsh.name/2004/03/03/266NorthPleasant

PGP signature