oasis-member-discuss message

Subject: RE: RDDL use in ASIS

> | What do others think? As I said, there was a lot of pushback on
RDDL.

> I don't recall reading the pushback on RDDL, but "and preference to
> have an index.html or one of the other default HTML pages" isn't
> related. RDDL is a mechanism for placing metadata in HTML.

Ok, for the record, last summer Bill and I tried to figure out the
standards pedigree of RDDL so we could cite it.

No sign of it at W3C, not even published as a Note.

At www.rddl.org, there is a spec dated Feb 18, 2002, no version
specified. I guess this is version 1.

At http://www.openhealth.org/RDDL/20040118/rddl-20040118.html there is a
spec dated Jan 18, 2004 marked as version 2.0. It describes itself as "a
draft".

At http://www.tbray.org/tag/rddl/rddl3.html there is a document dated
June 1, 2003, with no version. Not sure what version this is. Perhaps
Tim's private version? If it is RDDL 3, it is older than RDDL 2.0.

All of these contain the sentence "This document has no official
standing and has not been considered nor approved by any organization."

There are also a number of articles, implementations and even a
Wikipedia article (which points to the 2002 version). The 2004 version
says "While this document has no official standing, it is the intention
of the TAG to seek guidance from the W3C membership and the larger
community on the question of whether and how to progress this document
and the use of RDDL." As far as I can see there has been no work done on
RDDL in 2 years.

Will the real RDDL please stand up? If this is as great stuff as you all
say it is, can't somebody put in enough time to push it thru an OASIS TC
or publish it as a TAG Finding? If I put a normative reference to
something with a pedigree like this in an OASIS Committee Spec and
submitted it for member approval, I would end up with a bunch of arrows
sticking out of me.

Hal
by email and then delete it.