oasis-member-discuss message

Subject: RE: [oasis-member-discuss] RE: RDDL use in ASIS

Thanks for all your comments on RDDL, Chris; I think I agree
with all of them, and personally have urged the use of
RDDL (experimental or not) for a long time.  I can't think
of (m)any reason(s) one would:

* publish an HTTP scheme URI namespace that intentionally
  dereferences to a 404
* create an HTTP scheme URI namespace that dereferences
  to a specific instance [particular version] of a
  versioned schema at a version-specific URI
* design and deploy ad hoc namespace document formats
  when RDDL provides a reasonable candidate for current
  use

The thread on RDDL [1] in connection with the ASIS review
motivates me to be more attentive to news about RDDL,
especially about the experimental uses that are now
in wide evidence. I have a document subsection here:

RDDL Newsbits
http://xml.coverpages.org/rddl.html#RDDL-newsbits

Examples
http://xml.coverpages.org/rddl.html#examples

Please send me references, and I'll try to provide
citations.

It's a bit disconcerting to discover that a lot of
people simply don't know about RDDL, and that some
are unclear on the concept of a namespace document.

Here are two key references:

Associating Resources with Namespaces
Draft TAG Finding 13 December 2005
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/nsDocuments/

Namespace documents
http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#namespace-document

In another posting (to follow), I want to ask the readers
for ideas about optimum designs for a file system which
[transparently exposes paths + filenames as URIs and]
clearly separates the notion of a namespace URI from other
related URIs [2], and manages user expectations with respect
to server behavior when a namespace URI corresponds to
the URI of a directory which contains related URI-addressable
resources.

Robin Cover

[1]  Some postings on RDDL (ASIS  review)

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200602/msg00001.html
  Chris Ferris
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200602/msg00007.html
  Chris Ferris
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200602/msg00010.html
  Marc Goodner
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200602/msg00012.html
  Bill Cox
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200602/msg00017.html
  Bill Cox
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200602/msg00018.html
  Paul Fremantle
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200602/msg00019.html
  Chris Ferris
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200602/msg00022.html
  Chris Ferris
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200602/msg00024.html
  Marc Goodner
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200602/msg00025.html
  Bill Cox
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200602/msg00027.html
  Gabe Wachob
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200602/msg00028.html
  Hal Lockhart
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200602/msg00029.html
  Chris Ferris
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200602/msg00031.html
  Marc Goodner
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200602/msg00032.html
  OASIS Staff
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200603/msg00000.html
  Chris Ferris
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200603/msg00002.html
  Norman Walsh
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200603/msg00009.html
  Hal Lockhart
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200603/msg00010.html
  Chris Ferris
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200603/msg00011.html
  Bill Cox
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200603/msg00012.html
  Bill Cox
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200603/msg00014.html
  Chris Ferris
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200603/msg00016.html
  Hal Lockhart
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200603/msg00018.html
  Chris Ferris

[2]  Chris Ferris on separate concerns: namespace URI vs
     URI(s) of resource(s) describing a namespace URI

[someone said:]
> Original motivation, I think, was to allow a single schema
> namespace URI without requiring a change for each developement
> version of a spec. This is existing practices in a number of TCs.

[Chris says:]

IMO, this is a classic example of where it makes sense to
separate out the namespace URI from the URI of the resource(s)
that it represents and why it is considered good practice to
have a namespace document (RDDL) that describes the namespace
as opposed to having the schema or WSDL document at the end
of the namespace URI.  Please DO keep in mind that there
is not necessarily a 1:1 correspondence between a namespace
and a physical schema document.

However, IMO, it also points out the folly of forcing the
metadata to be expressed in the filename.

IMO, the practice adopted by the W3C for providing:

 This version: [dated URI]
 Latest version: [persistent URI]
 Previous version: [dated URI]

is something that OASIS should long ago have adopted as well.
If I embed the metadata within the artifact, yet make it
available via some persistent URI (regardless of what its
current status is), then it means that in such cases where
ONLY the metadata has changed, that the resource's URI need
not change. This is "A Good Thing(tm)".