oasis-member-discuss message

Subject: Microsoft's "Open Specification Promise"

People on this list who have seen my discussions earlier this year about IPR licensing may be interested to hear about Microsoft’s announcement at the Digital Identity World conference [1] of a “Open Specification Promise” (OSP) [2] around the Cardspace (formerly Infocard) concept and technology [3].

I have scanned it and from an initial review, it looks like a good model for companies who want the lowest-friction means to allow use of their intellectual property in specifications which are to be truly open and widely adopted.

I think there will be a great amount of discussion about this OSP, especially as to how it enables open source implementations. However, perfect or imperfect as it might turn out to be, Microsoft should be applauded (esp Kim Cameron and Mike Jones) in making this OSP happen. And I would hope that this sort of licensing catches on here in OASIS.

            -Gabe

[1] http://conference.digitalidworld.com/2006/

[2] http://www.identityblog.com/?p=574

[3] http://msdn.microsoft.com/winfx/reference/infocard/default.aspx