oasis-member-discuss message

Subject: RE: [oasis-member-discuss] distributed VCS (DVCS) platform rollout at W3C

Robin, I see the blog discussion from last year, but I don't see anything
about the announcement of availability.  Where is that announcement?

The discussion on the blog is the usual developer-centric view of the
universe and the World readability of what I see at dvcs.w3.org/hg doesn't
strike me as much of an accomplishment.

Where is the announcement of its availability.  Where are whatever
procedures put in place to have it fit into W3C policies there are for
maintenance of materials, their custody and their provenance?

 - Dennis

PS: I am a little puzzled about "patch" in this statement on the blog:
" The goal of such a repository would be to host the reference versions of
these items, while allowing as many people as possible to modify, branch,
patch the content of the repository, without the hurdles that CVS creates
for this kind of cooperation."

I assume they do not mean open patching of the reference version (there
would need to be something more disciplined for that, I would think).  I
maintain that I (and any unindicted collaborators) can do all of those
things without requiring OASIS to provide anything on my/our behalf other
than a way to get and synchronize from a "reference version" on the current
SVN, something that is remarkably easy to do.

Of course my experience with the OASIS SVN is on a small TC where only two
of us have ever done commits and we can easily avoid trampling on the work
of each other.  So we are probably not representative of those who crave
something new and maybe shinier.  We also haven't dealt with the
preservation of the "reference version" of the work and are not certain how
that can be done in the current arrangement.  It looks like reference
versions would need to be segregated in some way to prevent their alteration
and the rewriting of history, just as that is done for documents beyond TC
internal working drafts.