Subject: Calendars and Standards

We have long talked about how to get to a calendar/scheduling element within oBIX. We also put that on the shelf for a bit in the hopes of a WS-Calendar micro-specification that would be used by oBIX and by partners in other domains.

Yesterday, a draft IETF specification for ICALENDAR in XML was submitted; it should have an RFC # for discussion within the IETF Calsify group. I urge oBIX folks to look at it and make comments. I have several, but they would break backwards compatibility. For example, I would like the use the URI to accept many rather than one, as this would work well in some of our use cases (one schedule, several contracts). That could be handled in several other ways as well.

Check it out…

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-daboo-et-al-icalendar-in-xml-00

http://xcal.cloudapp.net/

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-daboo-calendar-availability-01

we might need a meeting again, soon

tc

"It is the theory that decides what can be observed."   - Albert Einstein

Toby Considine

Chair, OASIS oBIX Technical Committee
Co-Chair, OASIS Technical Advisory Board
Facilities Technology Office
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC

Email: Toby.Considine@ unc.edu