Subject: NIEM Links (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: FOUO

During last meeting I mentioned the National Information Exchange Model (NIEM).  Though NIEM is very law enforcement/incident oriented (developed by US Department of Justice and Department of Homeland Security), their naming and design rules are application independent.  The intent of their design rules is to make schema components reusable across multiple communities of interest and lines of business.

In my experience with NIEM, I’ve used the free OASIS-born Content Assembly Mechanism processor to import .xsd schema and export NIEM-compliant schema.  Though, I prefer following the NIEM specification while I’m creating the .xsd.  The newest version of Altova XML enterprise provides extended validation according to the NIEM ruleset.  Also, you can use NIEM’s online validations tools.

I plan on converting some oBIX schema artifacts into NIEM format prior to next meeting so we can discuss any tradeoffs.

Links:

NIEM Specifications (See Naming and Design Rules)

https://www.niem.gov/technical/Pages/references-specs.aspx

CAM

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/camprocessor/index.php?title=Main_Page

Chris Bogen, Ph.D.