Subject: Re: Draft of UML diagram based on schema 43a - issues with schema and diagram

Here are the issues I've found in schema 43a. Fundamental issues first, minor documentation/comment issues later. I'm re-attaching the referenced PNG.

(a) the default value for List.of is OBIX:obj. In Op.in the default value is OBIX:Nil. But these is not defined in the schema, nor is it a string. The type is contractList,, so this should be the string "Nil" (instead of OBIX:Nil); not sure what OBIX:obj should be. The type again is contractList, so it should be a string.  This is a significant issue.

I suggest "Nil" for the contractList with no contracts.

I don't know what I'd suggest for OBIX:obj.  Suggestions?

(b) why is there both a simpleType "contractList" and a global attribute "is" of type contractList?

(c) there are some type issues:  some are XML types, some are UML types. See List where I have max, min of type xs:long. In UML basic types, this would be integer (which has no value limitations); previous diagram was int.  Which should it be? I'm a bit uncomfortable with xsd types without namespacing, but the text before Figure 4-1 would seem to justify using xsd types without tags.

(d) minor comment issues

Line 225:
<xs:documentation>Names the Contract the Object implements.</xs:documentation>
comment should be "…ContractList…"

Line 238:

    </xs:attribute>
    <xs:attribute name="of" type="contractList">
        <xs:annotation>
            <xs:documentation>Specifies the type of child Objects contained by this Object.</xs:documentation>
        </xs:annotation>
    </xs:attribute>
    <xs:attribute name="out" type="contractList">
        <xs:annotation>
            <xs:documentation>Specifies the output argument type used by this Object.</xs:documentation>
        </xs:annotation>
    </xs:attribute>

Are these "child Objects" or contractLists?  The simpleType is "contractList" per line 40.

Thanks!

bill
--

William Cox