Subject: OpenDocument compliance/conformance

Hello everybody,

I think we agreed on the term "conformance" yesterday in order to make
our lives easier, didn't we? Since I volunteered to take a first stab
at the definition of the various levels and aspects of conformance
I want to provide my first ideas as a starting point for discussions.
See my brainstorming list below and add your thoughts.

Maybe we also want to research how other standards, projects and
applications address the issue of conformance. Since I'm a Sun
employee, Java and the JCP comes to my mind. CodeWeavers CrossOver
Office also deals with compatibility:
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/

CodeWeavers for example works with Bronze, Silver, Gold levels
of compatibility.

Here are my very first thoughts in a brainstorming like format:

Types of OpenDocument Support
=============================
* Editors creating document files
* Systems managing document files
* Systems converting document files
* Document viewers
*

Levels of Conformance
=====================
* Files look the same in different applications
* Files behave in the same way in different applications
* The pure data/content is displayed without loss
* No existing information gets lost or modified
* No conflicts with the specification/schema
* All applications can successfully read/import ODF documents
   without error messages and application crashes
* A defined subset of document elements look the same
   across different applications
* A defined subset of document elements behaves in the
   same way across different applications
* Text/numbers/formats are handled equally
* Formulas are handled equally
* Macros are handled equally
* All applications support at least a core subset of
   document elements
* PDF representations of ODF documents look the same
   across applications
* HTML representations of ODF documents look the same
   across applications
* Security mechanisms (encryption, digital signatures, DRM)
   behave in the same way across applications
* Form documents behave in the same way across applications
* Default alternative behavior for special features
   supported by just one application
* All application support ODF accessibility equally
* Same behavior across operating systems and hardware platforms
* Small devices (e.g. PDA's and cell phones) support a defined
   subset of document elements
*

Conformance "Program" Requirements
==================================
* Conformance Description/Specification
* Recommendation for things that cannot be fully specified
* Test Suite
* Certifying Organization
* Logo(s)
*

As I said, please add your thoughts, so that our ideas
eventually lead to a concrete plan!

Thanks,
Erwin