Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] OASIS logo and trademark issues?

Charles Schulz wrote:
> thank you for your proposal. I have several questions for you:
> -what is the licence of the OD fellowship's icons?

We don't have any icons :)  We're just talking to one software maker who
is asking about icons on our mailing list.

> -knowing that we will eventually end up with only one extension for any
> ODF formatted file, how could icons be relevant?
> -do we need icons? shouldn't the icons be the ones designed and used by
> each ODF-compliant application (like you would have OOo, Workplace, etc.)?

These two are related. Right now we /are/ talking about just one
application, (MobileOffice for Symbian). So yes, every OS will make
their own icons. However, I think it would help OpenDocument if these
icons had a common logo. Think of Adobe PDF. Different applications use
different icons for PDF, but they all have that red squigle that tells
people "this is a PDF file". I was thinking that ODF could be like that.
If we want to use the OASIS logo for that, then each OS would make its
own icons, but they'd all use the OASIS logo to denote ODF.

If you move from Gnome to KDE you will still recognize the PDF icon even
if they're different. I was thinking that ODF should have the same type
of recognition. Recognition would help mindshare in the long term.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org