Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] Comments on the XForms article

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

> I took a read over J. David's essay on XForms and ODF.   This is good
> material.  Although I was already familiar with the XForms specification
> and have worked with XForms before, I was not aware of the depth of XForms
> integration in OpenOffice.org.  So this was a good intro to that.  I'd be
> interested in hearing how this essay reads to those who are not familiar
> with XForms.  Does it motivate this sufficiently?  Do you know what XForms
> is important and why you should care?

I'll be happy to add material if someone can come up with it. I probably
can't look at actually doing these changes until Sunday.

> Some specific comments:
>
> Document title is "XForms and Open Document", but footer is "XForms and
> OpenOffice.org".  May want these to be the same, perhaps "XForms and
> OpenDocument in OpenOffice.org"?

Good idea.

> Will the publication format be ODF or HTML?  Would be good to have a link
> to Appendix A from the first paragraph to ease navigation.

ODF, so you can see the form in action.

[snip minor typographical changes]

> Page 13 is blank.  Bad luck?

Probably bad pagination. I'll look at it.

> Tying it all together, the start of the article talks about club directors
> filling out the form and then sending you the document which you "run a
> program to extract the info".  But the example at the end seems to lead to
> an online form submission.  Is there anyway we can tie these together
> more?  Where is the program to extract the info?

I could have two buttons: one for "Save data" and one for "send data to
web".  The program is in my imagination at the moment; it's about a page
and a half of Perl, which I guess I should write.

--
J. David Eisenberg  http://catcode.com/