Subject: OpenDocument XML.org: Combining Wiki and Knowledgebase

ODF Adoption Committee:

Now that we have Drupal 5.1 running, I'd like the Committee to consider a few
options for enhancing use of the site.

1) Combining Wiki and Knowledgebase sections
As you know, the XML.org site is divided into three sections: Knowlegebase,
Today, and Wiki. Our original intention was for KB pages to be only editable by
the Committee and Wiki pages to be editable by any registered user of the site.

After working with this format for more than a year, the DITA XML.org Editorial
Board has decided to combine its Wiki and KB sections in order to encourage
greater input from the community and simplify the way users interact with the
site. They are confident Drupal's 'Revisions' and 'Track/Revert' capabilities
will enable them (and others) to easily correct any irresponsible edits.

They've created a new outline for their Wiki knowledgebase,
http://dita.xml.org/wiki, with sections and stub pages designed to stimulate
new content.

Please take a look at what they've done and let me know if you think we should
consider doing this on OpenDocument XML.org.

2) Site map
We've installed the Drupal site map module at http://dita.xml.org/sitemap and
are in the process of enabling it for OpenDocument as well. This is a great way
to see what's on the site and what's available via RSS. Once we have the
automated site map running, we can make the 'Site map' link more prominent and
remove the current footer menu (which many people miss altogether and which is
hard to keep up-to-date).

3) Menus
Drupal 5.1 makes it a lot easier to customize the menus. Are we happy with the
navigation format we're using now or should we consider changes? I've been
experimenting with different approaches on two XML.org sites currently under
construction. Please take a look at the nav for http://bpel.xml.org and for
http://idtrust.xml.org. (Don't drill down too far; as I said, these sites are
under construction.)

BPEL is an attempt to clarify how users can interact with the site and
encourage the addition of content. It also would give us the option to
eliminate the horizontal nav bar entirely and move content up on the page.
Downside: there may be too much redundancy here.

IDtrust puts the main WIKI outline on every page.

4) Homepage teasers
The DITA EdBoard has decided to publish teasers on the five most recent pages
on its home page (the way it's done now on http://bpel.xml.org). This is in
addition to the 'Recent content' box of headline links that appears on every
page. Publishing teasers on the homepage gives the site a fresh look and
encourages authors to add content. Is this something we want to consider for
OpenDocument?

Thanks,
Carol

Carol Geyer
Director of Communications
OASIS
+1.978.667.5115 x209

Register now for the Open Standards Forum:
"Enabling Transformational Government Through Web Services and SOA"
29-30 Oct 2007  *  London
http://events.oasis-open.org/home/forum/2007