Subject: ODF Adoption TC Call Minutes 19 May 2009 14:00 UTC

Hello All,
Minutes are below....

The URL for our mail list archive:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/odf-adoption/messages.php

Mary McRae: updated us that Oasis does not allow non-TC members to
attend TC meetings.

Please find the draft minutes of our 5 May 2009 TC meeting below.

Proposed Agenda
===============

1.) Logistics
- Roll call

Name
Company
Status
Peter Junge
Beijing Redflag Chinese 2000 Software Co.,...
Group Member
Robert Weir
IBM
Group Member
Alan Clark
Novell*
Group Member
Michael Brauer
Sun Microsystems
Group Member

Quorum achieved. Don must update the status of voting/nonvoting members.
===============

1.) Logistics
- Roll call
- Determination of quorum status
- Approval of minutes from 5 May 2009 TC meeting
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/odf-adoption/email/archives/200904/msg00012.html

- Acceptance of today's agenda

2.) Review, TC Action Item plan: http://wiki.oasis-open.org/odf-adoption/OdfAdoptionTcActionItems
  - All

4.) OpenOffice.org Conference - Peter:

No update. Team silent. They are having meeting to discuss things.

5.) 'ODF Interoperability Education' topic with the idea to build an
actionable plan to support Bart's efforts at OIC TC and a complement
to the ODF Toolkit Unions 'ODF Validator' project. Basically,
providing the educational framework for how all these piece parts
inter-relate and together, solve the current growing pains of ODF.

Items: we need specific things to discuss
Validator: from the Toolkit Union, and its intent is to validate
documents for conformance to odf spec. The status: validation code is
avail. as source and an online service that can be checked; support
for 1.2 provisions, meaning that more things are checked. Files are
validated against the schema. They can be checked in 2 modes, with or
without extensions.

Rob: this may be more useful for OIC... but (Louis): the education
element is relevant to Adoption TC

* We need to make available education elements for those able and
willing to write code (or scripts) for ODF documents.

* spectrum for power users to advanced; and second, ancillary point,
to validate documents for storage, so that people do not make the
mistake of trying to save everything but rather validate the doc. so
that one can save it. BTW this is a crucial element for marketing the
ODF.

6.) ODF Activity Map: no update

7.) ODF News / Round Table  -- All

Rob: Brussels meeting (IADBC) Informatics of EU meeting to discuss the
nature of doc formats. Challenge: how to deal with two formats. They
hired Dialogika (clever age plugin fame): commissioned survey on how
they use documents and have received few responses. Still... will set
up wiki and discussion forum for member states and are inviting in
outside experts, with the q. being: how do they deal with incompatible
formats? No answers, but right now focus on mapping the issue. This
incompatibility issue is not new; OOXML is not used but PDF/A is, the
preferred format. The concern is that they will need to update
documents quickly should the EC issue edicts in a new format. Hence,
they keep the source document.

**Main impact: a number of ODF vendors will likely receive queries to
participate in the wiki, etc.

Alan question: What is timeframe? Roadmap? Rob: no timetable. Right
now, mapping the problem. Some solutions suggested but the trend was :
this is a vendor problem and thus must be their solution. They were
not specifying features, and were more inclined to interoperability.
However, they were intent on language tagging, as that aides with
their translation pipeline.

Michael Brauer: nothing to add

Alan Clark: nothing to add

Peter Junge: let's update member list of ODF adoption; Don must update
the voting privileges of the members.

Louis: ODF as something to champion seems to be at sea--that is, the
marketing of the ODF and the groups promoting it are lacking.

Rob: let's make a measurable, specific goal to engage those working on
ODF to convene together in its promotion. But right now the goals are
not clear we have any goals besides let's work on 1.2.... Other point:
We have more than one committee... and would be great if we had
liaison relations with the other orgs and have meetings from all the
relevant committees. This would help... and if we reduce the number of
meetings that we attend by having more intermural meetings, we can
alleviate fatigue.

Proposed: outside of Oasis, perhaps ODF Toolkit?, and have one member
from each primary group working on ODF... Louis can contact Marino,
but Rob/Michael other committees? Issues would be implementation
(implementers, such as KOffice, too), and development.

Let's add to wiki this.

best
louis