Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] Minutes: February 10 Accessibility SubteamMeeting

Peter Korn <Peter.Korn@Sun.COM> wrote on 02/14/2006 07:18:52 PM:

> I'm not surprised (or disappointed) that this is out of scope for a file
> format standardization effort, even if it is all about accessibility.
> But many of the folks in this subcommittee are in fact the right folks
> to be working on this.  And if our goal is to make ODF a standard that
> meets accessibility needs, then this is very much an issue that must be
> addressed somewhere...
>
> So... any thoughts as to where this is best addressed?

Well, first of all I should say that I am really new to this area, so I don't know where there are minefields or bodies buried.  However, a naive web search led me to:

        http://www.ataccess.org/

This kind of education seems right up their alley -- their FAQS are particularly wonderful.  Perhaps we should be considering jointly pursuing some ODF-related work at one or more non-profits like this one?  I guess I could use a tutorial in the politics of accessibility.

In the short term, we ought to make sure this is on the agenda for the proposed ODF Promotion TC, though that doesn't really seem adequate for the long term.  -- Nathaniel