Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] Reminder -- agenda items

Peter Korn <Peter.Korn@Sun.COM> wrote on 2006/03/08 11:53:22:

> Hi Nathaniel,
> >
> > Please let me know if you have any agenda items for Thursday morning's
> > Accessibility SC conference call!  -- Nathaniel
>
> David has found a few things this past week - are they perhaps at a
> place worth of discussion?  I'm also curious if there are any more
> developments in tables in presentations.  Finally, I'd like to propose
> Friday afternoon or evening March 24th in LA for our face-to-face@CSUN
> meeting.  Perhaps we can nail down a precise time at our Thursday
concall.

We want to discuss short and long alt texts topic. I said last week I need
two weeks, but I am ready now as attached below:

(See attached file: proposal-alt-texts.odt)(See attached file:
proposal-alt-texts.html)

We might need to follow-on the tables in presentation, which has been
discussed in ODF tc mailing list.

At CSUN, I and Hironobu can meet on 24th, as Peter suggested.

Chieko
---------
Chieko Asakawa, Ph.D.
Accessibility Research
Tokyo Research Laboratory, IBM Research
E-mail: chie@jp.ibm.com
Tel: +81-46(215)4633     Fax: +81-46(274)4282

proposal-alt-texts.odt

Proposal for Short and Long Alternative Texts

Chieko Asakawa - IBM

March 9th, 2006.

Table of Contents

Proposal for Short and Long Alternative Texts 1

1 Issue: Lack of Long Description 1

2 Difference between the Original SVG and the SVG Namespace of ODF 1

3 Suggestion 2

4 Proposal of Schema Modification 3

1 Issue: Lack of Long Description

In general, alternative texts are defined as “short” description for non text elements. ODF defines <svg:desc> for this purpose.

However, it is required to provide additional detailed descriptions for complicated charts, graphics and embedded objects. So, HTML has two types of alternative text.

  • alt” - short description for non text elements

  • longdesc” - complete description for non text elements

longdesc” can provide an additional description for complex content where “alt” is not sufficient.

ODF does not have an element, which corresponds to then longdesc.

OpenDocument Specification v1.0, Section 9.3.9

The <svg:desc> element specifies an alternative text as specified in §5.4 of [SVG].”

ODF Schema (OpenDocument-schema-v1.0-os.rng)

<define name="svg-desc">

<element name="svg:desc">

<text/>

</element>

</define>

2 Difference between the Original SVG and the SVG Namespace of ODF

Alternative text

Long description

SVG

<title>

<desc>

SVG in ODF

<svg:desc>

-

Table 1: Comparison of alternative text function

SVG Specification 1.1, Section 5.4 (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/struct.html#DescriptionAndTitleElements)

Each container element or graphics element in an SVG drawing can supply a ‘desc’ and/or a ‘title’ description string where the description is text-only.”

Usage of these two element is described in the document, “Accessibility Feature of SVG”.

Accessibility Feature of SVG, Section 2.1 (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG-access/#Equivalent)

title : Provides a human-readable title for the element that contains it.”

desc : Provides a longer more complete description of an element that contains it.”

3 Suggestion

  • Modify ODF schema by following the original SVG specification

    • Change definition of <svg:desc> in ODF as “long description”

    • Add <svg:title> to ODF as alternative texts

  • Add guideline to ODF specification

Example:

<draw:frame draw:style-name="fr1" draw:name="Object1" text:anchor-type="paragraph" svg:width="12.573cm" svg:height="11.001cm" draw:z-index="0">

<draw:object xlink:href=""./Object" 1" xlink:type="simple" xlink:show="embed" xlink:actuate="onLoad" />

<draw:image xlink:href=""./ObjectReplacements/Object" 1" xlink:type="simple" xlink:show="embed" xlink:actuate="onLoad" />

<svg:title>Graph representing rainfall amount in Tokyo</svg:title>

<svg:desc>Rainfall amount in Tokyo dropped in August, that is the smallest amount in these ten years. However on the other months, the amount is higher than last year.</svg:desc>

</draw:frame>

OpenDocument Specification v1.0, Section 9.3.9

9.3.9 Alternative Text - CURRENT

The <svg:desc> element specifies an alternative text as specified in §5.4 of [SVG].”

PROPOSAL

Provide alternative text for non text element by using <svg:title>. And for providing a longer more complete description, use the element <svg:desc> as specified in §5.4 of [SVG].”

4 Proposal of Schema Modification

  • OpenDocument-schema-v1.0-os.rng, Line number : 6612

<define name="draw-frame">

<element name="draw:frame">

<ref name="common-draw-shape-with-text-and-styles-attlist"/>

<ref name="common-draw-position-attlist"/>

<ref name="common-draw-rel-size-attlist"/>

<ref name="presentation-shape-attlist"/>

<ref name="draw-frame-attlist"/>

<zeroOrMore>

<choice>

<ref name="draw-text-box"/>

<ref name="draw-image"/>

<ref name="draw-object"/>

<ref name="draw-object-ole"/>

<ref name="draw-applet"/>

<ref name="draw-floating-frame"/>

<ref name="draw-plugin"/>

</choice>

</zeroOrMore>

<optional>

<ref name="office-event-listeners"/>

</optional>

<zeroOrMore>

<ref name="draw-glue-point"/>

</zeroOrMore>

<optional>

<ref name="draw-image-map"/>

</optional>

<a:documentation>proposal</a:documentation>

<optional>

<ref name="svg-title"/>

</optional>

<optional>

<ref name="svg-desc"/>

</optional>

<optional>

<choice>

<ref name="draw-contour-polygon"/>

<ref name="draw-contour-path"/>

</choice>

</optional>

</element>
</define>

  • OpenDocument-schema-v1.0-os.rng, Line number : 6919

<a:documentation>proposal</a:documentation>

<define name="svg-title">

<element name="svg:title">

<text/>

</element>

</define>

<define name="svg-desc">

<element name="svg:desc">

<text/>

</element>

</define>

  • OpenDocument-schema-v1.0-os.rng, Line number : 6987

<define name="draw-area-rectangle">

<element name="draw:area-rectangle">

<ref name="common-draw-area-attlist"/>

<attribute name="svg:x">

<ref name="coordinate"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:y">

<ref name="coordinate"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:width">

<ref name="length"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:height">

<ref name="length"/>

</attribute>

<a:documentation>proposal</a:documentation>

<optional>

<ref name="svg-title"/>

</optional>

<optional>

<ref name="svg-desc"/>

</optional>

<optional>

<ref name="office-event-listeners"/>

</optional>

</element>

</define>

  • OpenDocument-schema-v1.0-os.rng, Line number : 7010

<define name="draw-area-circle">

<element name="draw:area-circle">

<ref name="common-draw-area-attlist"/>

<attribute name="svg:cx">

<ref name="coordinate"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:cy">

<ref name="coordinate"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:r">

<ref name="length"/>

</attribute>

<a:documentation>proposal</a:documentation>

<optional>

<ref name="svg-title"/>

</optional>

<optional>

<ref name="svg-desc"/>

</optional>

<optional>

<ref name="office-event-listeners"/>

</optional>

</element>

</define>

  • OpenDocument-schema-v1.0-os.rng, Line number : 7030

<define name="draw-area-polygon">

<element name="draw:area-polygon">

<ref name="common-draw-area-attlist"/>

<attribute name="svg:x">

<ref name="coordinate"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:y">

<ref name="coordinate"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:width">

<ref name="length"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:height">

<ref name="length"/>

</attribute>

<ref name="common-draw-viewbox-attlist"/>

<ref name="common-draw-points-attlist"/>