Subject: [office-accessibility] proposal for hint text

Hi,

We need to consider the following hint text to fill the gap.
I believe it is the final gap .

-------
Hint text proposal

In WCAG 1.0, Guideline 13.1 requires as follows

  13.1 Clearly identify the target of each link. [Priority 2]
  Link text should be meaningful enough to make sense when read out of
context -- either on its own or as part of a sequence of
  links. Link text should also be terse.
  For example, in HTML, write "Information about version 4.3" instead of
"click here". In addition to clear link text, content
  developers may further clarify the target of a link with an informative
link title (e.g., in HTML, the "title" attribute).
  (http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/#gl-facilitate-navigation)
  WCAG 1.0 provides the following example for this guideline.
    <A href="my-doc.html">My document is available in HTML</A>,
    <A href="my-doc.pdf" title="My document in PDF">PDF</A>,
    <A href="my-doc.txt" title="My document in text">plain text</A>
  (http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#link-text)

Microsoft Office has a function to add "Hint Text" for text link.
When a office document is exported to HTML,
"Hint Text" is exported as "title" attribute for link elment.
Sample HTML code created by PowerPoint is as follows.
<a title="Jump to IBM Home" href="http://www.ibm.com/"; target="_blank"
 onclick="window.event.cancelBubble=true;">IBM</a>

In ODF v1.0 specification, there is no description about "Hint Text" for
text link when the ODF document is exported to HTML.
We found the "office:name" for a text link element <text:a> can be used for
a Hint Text.
ODF v1.0 defines that the attribute "office:name" is used as a link target
for other hyperlinks. (ODF spec page 87)

Proposal
- define a "office:name" attribute for "text:a" as a counterpart of "title"
for "a" in HTML.
- add a description to the guidelines for exporting ODF to HTML document
(adoption TC topic?)
- no schema change is required.
- add following sentence to ODF spec.

5.1.4 Hyperlinks, page 87
"office:name attribute for <text:a> element will be used for additional
information for screen reader users.
So, it should be described meaningfully to allow clearly identify the
target of each link ."

Best regards,
Chieko

---------
Chieko Asakawa, Ph.D.
Accessibility Research
Tokyo Research Laboratory, IBM Research
E-mail: chie@jp.ibm.com
Tel: +81-46(215)4633     Fax: +81-46(274)4282