Subject: ODF news - ODF is now an ISO spec,and Mass has issued an RFI for an MS-Office ODF plug-in/converter

Greetings,

It's been a busy day for ODF today.

First, the ISO vote finished, and was overwhelmingly positive.  ODF now
has the formal name: "ISO/IEC 26300
<http://iso.nocrew.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=43485&scopelist=PROGRAMME>".
There is also an ODF Alliance press release
<http://www.odfalliance.org/press/AllianceRelease3May06.pdf> talking
about this.

Second, Massachusetts' Information Technology Division has just issued a
Request for Information
<https://www.ebidsourcing.com/processPublicSolSummView.do?action=soltypeCd&docStatus=OPEN&docUserId=3070&docViewType=OPEN&docId=106466&doValidateToken=false&soltypeCd=ITP>
(RFI) regarding Open Document Format Plug-ins for the Microsoft Office
Suite.  Such a plug-in would allow AT users to stay in MS-Office but
nonetheless read/write ODF files.  I know of at least two different
approaches to this problem, and I expect Massachusetts will be
investigating and testing both of them in the coming months, at around
the same time as they evaluate the quality of AT support to native ODF
apps like StarOffice/OpenOffice.org and IBM Workplace.

I've mentioned both of these things on my blog today (see
http://blogs.sun.com/korn).  I also included an update on our good work.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,