Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] ODF TC accessibility summary from meetingearlier today

Hi Dave,
> Clarification please.
>
> On 13/06/06, Peter Korn <Peter.Korn@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> So,
>> one action item is for you Bruce & Dave - to draft XML schema to address
>> the caption requirement (Requirement #6).
> I'll asssume you mean item 6 from our requirement documents Peter. My
> version
> is 052606b.
> quote. 6.0 Requirement: Alternative text for drawing objects (line
> 5926 of spec.). end quote.
>
> 1. This doesn't mention captions explictly.
> 2. We have not proposed a schema modification for the insertion of
> svg:title and
> svg:desc.
>
> From memory we were leaving that to the TC? I.e. it's not our job.

My error.  The captions requirement is #7:

-------- begin excerpt ---------

7.0 Requirement: Establish clear relationships between objects and their
captions
Captions are not clearly associated with the drawing objects which they
caption and this is needed for accessibility.
Establish clear relationship between a drawing objects and its caption
by including a new optional draw:describedby attribute to the following
drawing objects.
<draw:rect>
<draw:line>
<draw:polyline>
<draw:polygon>
<draw:regular-polygon>
<draw:path>
<draw:circle>
<draw:ellipse>
<draw:g>
<draw:page-thumbnail>
<draw:measure>
<draw:caption>
<draw:connector>
<draw:control>
<dr3d:scene>
<draw-custom-shape>
<dr3d:scene>
<draw:frame>
draw:describedby shall take a value of IDREF. The value for
draw:describedby attribute shall be the target id assigned to the
<text:p> used to represent the corresponding caption. As text:p is an
XML element it may have an ID assigned by default. The following
attribute list should be included as optional to the above drawing objects:
<define name="common-draw-describedby-attlist" combine="interleave">
<attribute name="draw:desribedby">
<ref name="IDREF"/>
</attribute>
</define>
When a caption is assigned by a user agent, an id must be assigned to
the element containing the text used to caption a drawing element. The
drawing element being captioned must then be assigned the
draw:describedby attribute with an IDREF equivalent to the id of the
captioning text thus establishing a relationship between the captioned
text and the object captioned as needed for accessibility. Removing the
caption should result in removing the draw:describedby attribute of the
object that was being captioned.
If the user agent supports a platform which provides a draw:describedby
relationship in its accessibility API, this relationship for captions
should be used to fulfill the relationship.

-------- end excerpt ---------

> PK.
>>   One question came up (from
>> Florian Reuter) with this: is there any accessibility requirement for
>> soft line-breaks?  Dave Pawson - does DAISY usage refer to lines that
>> things are on, or just pages, paragraphs, sections, and such like?
>> Implementing soft line-breaks is not something the TC is eager to do (it
>> would significantly increase the file size!), but they don't want to
>> miss anything we feel is important.  So Dave, can I have your thoughts
>> on this, either via e-mail or in our meeting this coming Thursday?
>
> Braille and large print flow block level content as in any other
> similar media.
> There is no accessibility requirement that I know of for line breaks.
> For poetry or drama where line breaks are important, then the line is
> turned into a block level object where line numbers can be added.
>
> So no, I have no requirement for soft line breaks

Excellent.  Thanks!

Peter