Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] OASIS ODF a11y SC meeting tomorrow, 31Aug06 8am PT / 11am ET / 4pm GMT / 5pm CET

I think Rich and I might also provide a report on my action item from
last week to research W3C guidance concerning background image
accessibility. We had quite the spirited discussion on this topic in our
PF call yesterday. I have not yet come up with the specific references I
was thinking of when taking on the action, but that may not be so
important given the discussion when can report on.

To summarize briefly:

*	There is still discussion on how best to proceed
*	There is strong opinion that all backgrounds convey some kind of
*	meaning which should be captured, though this meaning may be
*	non verbal.
*	There is clear consensus that any explicit semantic content
*	should be exposed, but still discussion on how it should be
*	exposed.
*	The argument is made that semantic content should be exposed in
*	machine readable form--content such as "draft," or
*	"confidential."
*	There are a11y contexts which require supression of background
*	images from display or view. Of course, this this unavoidably
*	already the case with a braille display/print out.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka				Phone: +1.202.595.7777

Marketing the Owasys 22C talking screenless cell phone in the U.S. and Canada--Go to http://ScreenlessPhone.Com to learn more.