Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] Table of contents.

One more comment on table of contents.

In terms of 'bad' or otherwise, practice.
In our guidelines the number of entries in the toc is greater than the
automatically
generated list (try it and see, only the header level one's come out
when autogenerated).

Firstly we should define what we want authors to do,
then I guess we should (to use an Americanism) eat our own dogfood, i.e.
we should follow the guidelines.

My suggested outline would be:

1. Only add headers into the toc. (there are ten levels shouldn't be too hard).
2. Always use the auto generation feature.
3. Never manually edit the toc.

I've amended ours to show this. If you do an 'update all' it generates
the same form of
index. In open office, with the focus on the toc, its
insert
  indexes and tables, indexes and tables.

There's a tab, 'create from' which had only the heading 1 selected.
Need to select to the level needed (we had level 3)
Also to select 'protect against manual change' to stop people doing what we did!

That's it.

I think we need to get this into the guidelines.
Otherwise we don't stand much chance of automatic tocs.
In our case we had different link content to the actual content, so that would
never have matched up.

I've put a simple feature request to the main list.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.