Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] style information confusion.

Dave,

Dave Pawson wrote:
> In the 1.1 standard, and in a test document I generated using open office,
> I can find XML such as:

> style:family="paragraph" style:parent-style-name="Standard"   ....>

> fo:font-weight="bold" .../>
>
> I.e. I can determine that any paragraph with a style name of
> Heading_20_1 is
> to the human, Heading 1 style.
>
> In our guidelines, this information is missing.
>
> Does anyone know if this is because our document is corrupted in some way,
> or because I'm using Open office.

Neither nor. ODF knows a style name that is an XML NCName and that is
used to link styles to paragraphs, etc. It further knows a display name
that contains the name of the style as the user has seen it. This
display name may not only contain characters a NCName must not contain
(for instance whitespace characters), it further may be localized. That
means, an application with an English user interface may use an English
name, while an application with a French user interface may use a French
display name. If you load the English document into an application with
French user interface, the application may exchange the display name to
a French one, if it actually knows a French name for the style specified
by the NCName. If it does not know such a style, it will display the
English display name.

The reason we have two style names is actually that the limitation to an
NCName is reasonable from the XML perspective, but not from the user
perspective.

> Reason.
>
> I'm trying to determine if an ODT document instance has a rational
> hierarchy,
> i.e. heading 2 follows heading 1 etc.

Whether such a hierarchy exists depends on the author of the document.
ODT does not enforce this.

> In our guidelines I can't find such information.
>
> Any suggestions please, or is this one for the main list?
>
> regards

I hope this helps.

Michael

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Marcel Schneider, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer