Subject: Minutes from OASIS ODF accessibility SC meeting, August 2nd, 2007

Greetings,

Attached please find the minutes from our meeting.

Attendees
---------
Janina Sajka
Dave Pawson
Cheiko Asakawa
Tatsuya Ishihara
Hiro Takagi
Peter Korn
Steve Noble
Pete Brunet

Topics & notes
--------------
1) Approve minutes for last ODF Accessibility SC Meeting - assuming I
manage to find them (Mike - did you take these?)
 -> We found the minutes:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email/archives/200707/msg00003.html
 ->

Action items from last meeting (July 5, 2007)

 1) Hiro/Chieko - finish reviewing the report; look at multi row/col
headers
  -> See presentation from Hiro; ODF *does* handle the situation of multple

 2) Peter Korn: Note potential items that have a11y impacts; continue
work done on blog.
  -> Done

 3) All:  What doc should be created?  Who would do the work?  Should
tagging examples be included?
  -> Janina/Dave: should be an easy-to-communicate document, examples
in-line (vs. links)
  -> Discussed the idea of having an XML example for each accessible point
  -> Perhaps two sections of the document; an initial section with a
basic overview of what is addressed for a11y, then a technical section
that includes XML examples, etc. [basically the first part would be an
executive summary of the technical part]
  -> Start with a simple list of a11y areas (or areas that were made
a11y), and expand each one with XML in technical.  Then perhaps a third
section that describes how AT gets this via user agents (e.g. via AT-SPI
from SO/OOo, and via IAccessible2 for LotusNotes 8).

 4) Mike: Provide thoughts on what should be in the whitepaper
  -> Mike not present at this meeting

 5) All Review the latest draft of the ODF 1.1 guidelines.
  -> Only Michael Brauer provided feedback (from TC)

 6) Mike: Post minutes from 6/21
  -> Minutes not found in a search...

2) Last call for comments on Subcommittee Draft #2 of the Accessibility
Guidelines document (see
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/24778/ODF_Accessibility_Guidelines_scd2_25July2007.odt)
and use display of change notification to see what changes I made.
  -> Peter made some changes, both in response to Michael Brauer, and
also glossary additions/edits
  -> Cheiko to review the glossary changes, reply by Monday (with
possible assistance from Hiro)

3) Discussion of issues Florian has raised
 -> Malte (our ODF expert) isn't on the call, which limited our discussions
 -> Dave Pawson has used master styles for DAISY transformation in other
contexts, and is our DAISY expert here
 Re: "question regarding style:next-style-name"
 -> If we understand Florian correctly, this is exactly what is done in
XSL-FO (having a definition of styles for pages in one place, and then
have the document with pages, and as "content pours into the page, with
the new style applied when a new page is hit").  This is not a problem
for DAISY.  This is distinct from styles that apply to short regions of
text (e.g. bold, underline).
 Re: "subtables and sudoku"
 -> Hiro: even if the sudoku is not appropriate example, and we agree to
not completely deprecate isSubTable, but use it only for legacy
situations.
 -> Pete Brunet: we feel at this time that the TC responses and
agreements are fine for us

New AIs:
 1. Everyone to put forward accessibility points in ODF v1.1 that are
"worth documenting"
   -> Look to WCAG 2.0, TEITAC Content a11y guidelines draft, our own
comparison document, DAISY transformation, Braille generation, our own
experience - to build the list
 2. Dave Pawson: look at HTML example on slide #3 of Hiro, to see how we
can encode the "San Jose" stuff in ODF (see Hiro's e-mail
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/group_public/email/office-accessibility/200708/msg00005.html)
 3. Cheiko to review glossary changes in subcommittee draft #2, reply
with any concerns/edits/changes
 4. Peter Korn & Pete Brunet - verify how ATK & IAccessible2 can convey
multiple dis-joint row & column headers (Hiro's slides #8 & #13 from his
e-mail
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/group_public/email/office-accessibility/200708/msg00005.html)
which ODF can encode so long as the headers are in their own groups