Subject: Re: [office-collab] 1. Backward compatibility: what are requirements?

I'd like to explore one of your points, Dennis, where you say:
Some products base their change-tracking on document comparison, which doesn't really apply to our case and has uneven results, especially if it is inconsistent with what change-tracking does.
The use of change tracking in conjunction with document comparison is actually an important use case which should not be dismissed. Let me give you two examples.

[1] A company involved in financial and legal printing wanted to use ODT and OpenOffice.org as the basis for preparing large legal documents, which contained a lot of financial tables. These documents had to be submitted to regulators, who made comments and required certain revisions. There was a requirement to resubmit the updated document to the regulators, and show precisely what changes had been made.

There was no way that this could have been done with change tracking, even if the change tracking in ODT had been sufficiently powerful. One reason for this is that  they did not want the regulators to see intermediate versions, and another reason was that multiple authors were working on the document. Therefore it was necessary to do a detailed document comparison in order to provide the regulators with what they required. We were asked to write a comparator for ODT for this specific purpose, including detailed comparison of the financial tables (this is now available as a free extension to OOo and is based on ODT 1.1).

[2] This company also had a requirement for multiple authors to work on a single large (several hundred pages) document simultaneously. Therefore they needed to be able to merge the edits from multiple authors together into a single document. Again, they asked us to write software to do this based on ODT. In this case we had to use the change track facilities in order to allow the 'chief' editor to review edits by all the other editors and accept or reject them for a final version of the document. Again, this was based on document comparison because intermediate changes were not relevant and because of the complexity of merging tracked changes together.

You could argue that the first case here, document comparison, is not a change tracking use case because there is no requirement to be able to accept or reject the changes. Rather there is a requirement to be able to see where changes have been made - but this is a really important use case. This may be a useful distinction which we need to explore further, for example rather than talking about 'change tracking', we could talk about 'edit tracking' and 'revision tracking'. These might be defined as follows:

'Edit tracking' is the ability to record edits made in an editing application in order that they can be viewed, accepted or rejected at a later date.

'Revision tracking' is the ability to record changes to a document such that these changes can be displayed in a document viewer, but there is no requirement that the changes can be undone.

I think we are beginning to uncover some of the reasons behind our differences in opinion in terms of requirements.

Regards,
Robin