Subject: Re: [office-collab] GCT-Issue-2 (was GCT Issues Wiki page)

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 11:13 -0600, Robin LaFontaine wrote:
> On 24/08/2011 16:13, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
> > GCT-Issue-2:
> > IMHO, amending the proposal to include information on which editing
> > operation is represented essentially changes the character of GCT to
> > something more like ECT. So isn't this response really a statement that
> > ECT in principle cannot work?
>
> (Note: I think you meant to say
> So isn't this response really a statement that
> GCT in principle cannot work?
> )

Yes of course I meant to say ...GCT...

> Please see
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-collab/201106/msg00010.html
> for a general comment on approach.

I had obviously read that message before. Unfortunately we do not even
seem to agree on the basic concepts. For me a document has many ODF xml
representations and changing between those representations does not
represent a document change, so while GCT may be well suited to for
recording changes in the representation I fail to see how it can be used
successfully to recognize changes to the document itself.

> The principle here is that GCT provides a generic method to represent
> any change, and by adding meta-data to describe the editing action, and
> any relevant constraints, it can represent any specific editing
> operation and thus resolve this objection, while at the same time having
> the advantage of 'extended-conforming' per GCT-Issue-1.
>
> GCT still differs fundamentally from ECT in many ways, and we need to
> highlight these in the consensus report.
>
> I believe a generic method with constraints (like XML with a schema) is
> fundamentally a better approach than customized solution for each use
> case. This is especially so for a large schema such as ODF.

I think there is fundamentally a difference between recording document
changes and recording changes in xml-representation.

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow, PhD, FTICA
Concordia University College of Alberta