Subject: Public Comment

Comment from: dennis.hamilton@acm.org

Name: Dennis E. Hamilton
Title: System Architect
Regarding Specification: OpenDocument 1.0

On pp. 181-183, section 8.1.3, Table Cell, the first part and under the "Number of Rows and Columns Spanned" heading, I am having difficulty figuring out the precise rules for table-cells that cover other cells.  I want to check my understanding.

If I am reading this correctly, there must be as
many cells as if none of them are covered.  If
one covers the others, then the others have
covered-table-cells (but not the covering one).

Let's use an example.  Suppose K7:L8 are covered
by a single cell.  Then I think all of these
configurations must be allowed:

   K L   K L   K L   K L
7  * -   - *   - -   - -
8  - -   - -   * -   - *

where the "*" is the <table:table-cell> element
and the "-" are all <table:covered-table-cell>
elements.

In every case, the <table:table-cell> element has

  table:number-of-columns-spanned="2"
  table:number-of-rows-spanned="2"

Is that it, 4 ways to have one cell cover a 2-by-
2 cell space?

Is there a preferred or canonical case?

Is there really only one allowed case?  Which
one?

Where can I find the answer in the specification?