Subject: proposal: enhance chapter information for indexes

Hi all,

I occasionally contribute code to OpenOffice.org as an individual.

While I was looking for an enhancement request to indexing stuff in
OpenOffice.org, I realized that the chapter information on indexes
should be improved in order to make that request persistent in ODF
documents.

So, I propose to enhance the chapter information for indexes
<text:index-entry-chapter> by the attributes and attributes values,
which are already supported by the chapter field <text:chapter>.

New values for attribute text:display are extended by plain-number and
plain-number-and-name:

<define name="text-index-entry-chapter-attrs">
     <optional>
         <attribute name="text:display" a:defaultValue="number">
             <choice>
                 <value>name</value>
                 <value>number</value>
                 <value>number-and-name</value>
                 <value>plain-number</value>
                 <value>plain-number-and-name</value>
             </choice>
         </attribute>
     </optional>
</define>

Attribute text:outline-level is added to <text:index-entry-chapter>:

<define name="text-index-entry-chapter-attrs">
     <optional>
         <attribute name="text:outline-level">
             <ref name="positiveInteger"/>
         </attribute>
     </optional>
</define>

If attribute text:outline-level is missing, it's assumed that it equals
the outline level, at which the source of the entry occurs in the text
document, as it's interpreted now.

I also propose to add the chapter information element
<text:entry-index-chapter> in the indexes of Illustrations, Tables and
Objects.

The main purpose of this proposal is to be able to create index entries
like the following ones:

- index entry of table of contents:

A.3.2 Heading 3.............................A-3

The plain chapter number of heading on outline level 1 is inserted in
front of the page number, separated by a manual inserted dash.

- index entry of index of tables:

Table 1: Fruit numbers....................A.3-3

The number of heading on outline level 2 is inserted in front of the
page number, separated by a manual inserted dash.

- index entry of an alphabetical index for chapter A:

The plain number of heading on outline level 1 is inserted in front of
the page number, separated by a manual inserted dash.

I patched a version of OpenOffice.org to prepare an ODF document
which shows how such indexes should look like.

Can such document be sent to this mail list as an attachment?

--
Kind Regards,
Giuseppe Castagno