Subject: Re: [office-comment] RFE: Vertical justification

Hi Leonard,

On Sat, 2007-04-21 at 19:58 +0300, Leonard Mada wrote:
>     - beautifully seen when 2 columns are compared,
>        and the lines in the second column are shifted away
>        from the corresponding lines in the first column

That's actually a really good point that I didn't raise in my original
e-mail - vertical justification in columns is also really useful.

The Journal of Clinical Infectious Diseases that you pointed to uses
exactly that, and it shows how this layout is ideally used: I downloaded
the PDF of "Prospective Study of Sputum Induction", and on page 5 you
can see a dual column layout with inserted graphic, the figure text in a
sans-serif font, and the main text in a serif font. The columns are
beautifully aligned, simply by tuning the leading.

On the last page, you can also see that columns can be aligned at the
bottom, so that the white space occupies the bottom of the page, rather
than the right side of the page.

Having this feature interact with columns in those ways would be an
excellent advance also. That last feature in particular cannot be
replicated in an automatic fashion with OpenDocument in any way; you'd
have to break the column manually in the right place, and the next time
the document is paginated differently, the break could be wrong.

Thanks,

Alex.