Subject: Re: [office-comment] Support for overlined text in ODF

Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 May 2007 08:27:54 Leonard Mada wrote:
>> I expect it too to be continuous, but where on the vertical axis would
>> you position it?
> []
>> What I wish to point out is, that we should first define what the
>> baseline for overline is. This baseline may NOT be always suited, so a
>> parameter to set an offset might be warranted.
>
> If we use the typographical rules then, actually, we don't have to
> (re)define it :)
> By that I mean that if you ask 10 typographic experts and the fast
> majority will come up with the same answer we don't need to write that
> answer down. It is up to the implementer to gather that information.
>
> With my typographical background, I'd say;
> If you consider one line of characters a block, from top of font to bottom
> (with the baseline in between) and the linespacing being excluded from
> this block, then the overline would IMO be at the top of that block.
> If it grows thicker it then eats away at the linespacing (50%) and at the
> tops of the ascenders (50%).

Basing the overline position on typographical rules seems to me to be
the correct approach. I'm not a typographic expert, so can't contribute
an authoritive opinion. For what it's worth, though, OOo already contains
code for rendering overlines (used instead of underlines when certain
CJK fonts are selected). This code uses the "internal ascent" font metric
(if available) and positions the overline at 50% of the internal ascent.
If the internal ascent metric is not available, it estimates a value,
based on the font height. This gives reasonable results with the fonts
I have tried.

Martin