Subject: Re: [office-comment] Data Type Specification and Conversion likein FORTRESS

Hi,

Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Leonard,
>
> First, thanks for all the comments! They are very helpful.
>
> Sanity check: What you are asking for is different from 8.5.3.2
> Condition, where a condition is set to test the validity of the entry
> in a cell. Yes?

Unfortunately, I did not find this section 8.5.3.2 in the ODF-document I
have. However, I most definitely described something else.

Actually, I was referring at the  FORTRESS programming language
developed by Sun Microsystems, specifically:
 - the  possibility to use various dimensions in cells AND
 - that the spreadsheet application  performs implicit conversions of
these dimensions

e.g. we may enter in column 'A' the length of some objects:
A1: 1 m
A2: 27 cm
A3: 99 inch
A4: = SUM(A1:A3)
and the spreadsheet application would perform the implicit conversions
and calculate the accurate result.

FORTRESS goes even further, e.g.:
we may divide the length by a time value, and get a velocity-measure

An extension would be to have user defined measures supporting variable
conversions. Suppose, we build a spreadsheet, which will be used to
enter various currencies: both Euro and US Dollars. So, we may want to
sum up this column. First we define an explicit conversion between
currencies (e.g. 1 Euro = US $ 1.27) and let the spreadsheet handle
automatically the data accordingly. This conversion factor could be
linked to an external foreign exchange rate.

Therefore, a user may enter US $ 4.5 M => and the spreadsheet would know
that this means 4.5 Million US Dollars, which is equivalent to ~3.5
Million Euro, making any automatic conversion when needed.

A full description of *Unit Conversions* is given in chapter 35 -
Dimensions and Unit Declarations (p260) of the Project Fortress Language
Specification (see http://research.sun.com/projects/plrg/fortress.pdf).

> In other words, you want to be able to declare a type for the data in
> a cell, separate and apart from a validation test on the content. Yes?
>
> Such that I could enter a value, assume the data type is complex
> number and there is no validation condition set so I could (mistakely)
> enter: 5.
5i => automatic conversion to the complex number (0 + 5 * i) ;-)
3m => size:3; internal unit type: distance as meters

This way, one would always know what is entered (it is 5i, or 3m, or 4.5
Million Euros). Also, because conversions are done either explicitly
(by some set rules) or implicitly, propensity for ERROR declines
substantially. The spreadsheet application could easily highlight the
type, similarly as FORTRESS will highlight the dimension/unit.

Sincerely,

Leonard