Subject: Re: [office-comment] Change Tracking issue

Leonard,

Leonard Mada wrote:
> Hello,
>
> lists wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been thinking about a security issue with every office document
>> that it might be a good idea to include into the ODF specification.
>>
>> The history of edits, or "Change Tracking". I know that this is a
>> heavily used feature and cannot be removed from the specification. The
>> problem lies in keeping that history in the document. I do not know of a
>> single person who will retype a letter completely from scratch if they
>> have one that can be modified slightly to meet the current need.
>
> Good point. Indeed, I almost always reuse existing letters (and
> documents, not just letters), and I am working in a governmental
> setting. Most people I work with do the same. Actually, even
> spreadsheets get reused: the old version is opened and it will be
> saved with a new name.
>
> However, I am not yet fully convinced that a separate file is
> necessary. But there should be a mechanism to ensure that confidential
> information is not passed inadvertently to persons not intended to
> view such confidential information.
>
> A possible solution is an option that requires that all tracking
> changes are deleted IF a document is saved with a different name. This
> should be set by default.
Interesting suggestion but what if I want the tracking changes even if
the document is saved with a different name?

One of the changes that will be introduced for metadata in ODF 1.2 is
the ability to have asynchronous metadata for an ODF document. That is
you and I can maintain separate metadata for the same document, say in a
contract negotiation situation.

While we enable that capability by a specified binding mechanism
(metadata manifest file) we do not specify how any particular
application would in fact implement that capability. ODF is a document
markup format and not an application specification, although we do walk
a fine line between those two at times.

Hope you are having a great holiday season!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net