Subject: ODFF feedback

ODFF 15Nov07 version - some comments:

==1==
DATE has constraints:
1 <= Month <= 12; 1 <= Day <= 31

but the test cases show months rolling over - ie month = 13 is allowable
and not constrained to <=12.

==2==
Each formula has test cases with headings Expression, Result, Level,
Comments. I cannot find where 'Level' is defined, so I think that this
is at least unclear. Very careful readings indicates that it probably
means the same as 'Group' - if so, why not use the same term?

==3==
ISLOGICAL
Currently:
"Semantics: If X is of type Logical, returns TRUE, else FALSE.
Applications that do not have a distinguished logical type will return
TRUE if ISNUMBER(X)."
Better?:
"Semantics: If X is of type Logical, returns TRUE, else FALSE. For
applications that do not have a distinguished logical type, ISNUMBER(X)
will return TRUE."

I'd also use the word 'distinct' rather than 'distinguished', but that
may be a difference between US and British English.

It may also be that talking about ISNUMBER under ISLOGICAL is actually
unnecessary.

==4==
ISODD
"Semantics: ...(per convert to number)."
I've no idea what this means - may be a typo?

==5==
Excel will helpfully set a date display format if a cell contains eg
=TODAY(). Calc will helpfully display the result as a date, but without
apparently setting the format.

Does the ODFF standard need to address how similar formula results are
displayed? Another application might simply display the date/time serial
number.

====

I hope these are helpful comments, coming from an outsider.

David King