Subject: Re: [office-comment] Cooperative stance?

"MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)" <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp> wrote on
05/06/2008 09:23:44 PM:

> Dear the ODF TC,
>
> ODF 1.0 does not correctly use "RELAX NG DTD Compatibility", which
> is a committee specification of the OASIS RELAX NG TC.  This problem
> was pointed out by Alex Brown [1] and he kindly gave a fix.  As
> an expert of RELAX NG, I believe that he did point out a problem
> of the RNG schema of ODF 1.0 and that his fix is reasonable.

Hello Murata-san,

Yes I believe we all know who you are.  We've received your reports of
editorial errors posted to this list, and I believe that our editor,
Patrick Durusau has been in contact with you regarding our efforts to
resolve them.  We are also familiar with your concerns with IRI's verus
URI's, from the last time you threatened to vote against ODF, back in
2005.  It is always good to hear from you again.

If you or Mr. Brown would like to submit a defect report on this "RELAX NG
DTD Compatibility" issue, then we would welcome it.  This can be done via
a post to this comment list, with the contents of your comment, as you
have done this before.   A mere blog post does not comply with the OASIS
IPR requirements for public comments, nor is it sufficient for an SC34
defect report, at least not the last time I checked.

As of today, the OASIS ODF TC has received no official defect report on
this issue, though of course we are aware of the controversy indirectly.

Further, if you, or Mr. Brown, decide to submit a defect report, then it
would be most appreciated if either of you could confirm that the fix
actually works.  When I applied those changes to the ODF 1.0 schema, the
jing errors still occurred.

Another option, if you are still an OASIS member, is to join the ODF TC.
Then you can contribute defect reports more directly.  I know that our
meeting time would make meeting attendance difficult from Japan, but this
is not necessary in order to participate on the mailing list.

If you do decide to submit a defect report via the above process, then you
will get a quick, respectful response from the TC.  However, speaking for
myself, personally, not speaking for OASIS or the ODF TC, if you post an
inflammatory blog post full of technical inaccuracies and results of
biased testing procedures, and then encourage the press to write stories
about it, then you will get quite a different response from me.

Kind regards,

-Rob Weir