Subject: RE: [office-comment] Implicit conversion and medical data

I know this is not to the point, and I don't think it impacts OpenFormula,
but it may assists the curious.

The way I have always ensured that Excel interprets an entry as text is to
pre-pend a single "'" to it.  The "'" will not be displayed and there is no
ambiguity.  I have done it that way for a very long time and continue to do
so simply because it works.

Here's one as it appears in OOXML (via Excel 2003):

<c r="I18" s="137" t="s">
  <v>38</v>
  </c>

And shared string 38 (0-origin, I think) is

<si>
  <t>2/2</t>
  </si>

So the "'" does not appear in the document file but everything worked.  What
it accomplished here, though, was to avoid it producing "02-Feb" in the cell
for some reason.

I haven't tried that with an import, say in a CSV file. I haven't read the
rules for that in a long time.

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org