Subject: Re: [office-comment] Statistical SUMMARY() function

Hi Robert,

With regards to the following; Re: "From what I can gather the term
"economic rate of return" has multiple meanings. In IDB use, where it is
abbreviated as EIR not ERR, it uses a calculation involving shadow
pricing to account for economic opportunity costs. To me this sounds
like something that one would do in a model in a spreadsheet, not as a
single spreadsheet function...."

Incidentally, the below attached information which discusses this very
subject was gleaned some time ago on the web and reads in part as follows:-

"Please note that for each of the five investments (A-E) in Exhibit 1,
no reinvestment of the intermediate cash flows is necessary nor required
to earn the 15% IRR on the periodic and usually ever-changing internally
invested amounts of capital. In fact, to "reinvest" the two intermediate
cash flows (CF^sub 1-2^ in these three-period investments) would be to
make two additional and separate investments external to the original
three-period investments. Any rate of return calculated to include these
reinvested amounts, combined with the original cash flows appropriately
would/should be called the External Rate of Return (ERR). Hence,
profiling the IRR and defining the ERR unequivocally settles the
reinvestment rate controversy. The IRR does not assume nor implicitly
require the reinvestment of the intermediate cash flows of an
investment, while the ERR does assume and explicitly require the
reinvestment of the intermediate cash flows of an investment.

Said ERR may also be called a "portfolio IRR," because it is the
geometric mean (weighted average) rate of return for more than one
investment held for varying time periods, since each successive
reinvested cash flow is invested for one time-period less than that of
the previous reinvested cash flow.

The generic term ERR is preferred since it encompasses all of the
variations on the same theme, namely the adjusted IRR, the modified IRR,
the terminal value IRR, the Estate Management Rate of Return (EMRR) and
even the Financial Management Rate of Return (FMRR)...."

http://www.allbusiness.com/personal-finance/investing/1035174-1.html

from the foregoing therefore, one would assume that the "generic term
ERR is preferred" and undoubtedly represents an "spreadsheet function"
(now absent) that must/should now be integrated and listed formally as such.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Sheldon.