Subject: Re: [office-comment] odf 1.1 dc:language value (unchanged as yet for1.2)

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

> All DC says of dc:language is:
>
> "A language of the resource.
>
> Comment:     Recommended best practice is to use a controlled vocabulary
> such as RFC 4646 [RFC4646]."
>
> So simply stating "German" or "Deutsch" or "Allemand" would be equally
> conformant, as would "de".
>
> I suggest we remove that useless mention of "similar".

I agree, and I suggest that we remove the full paragraph containing the
"similar" and references to RFC3066. It is not required any longer.

Background: This paragraph first appeared in the ODF 1.0 specification
and was not changed since when. In ODF 1.0 we referenced the first
edition of the W3C XSD datatype specification. It defines a language
datatype, but based on RFC1766, which is the predecessor of RFC3066. I
assume we wanted to permit RFC3066 values, and for that reason could not
use the XSD datatype, but had to define our own one.

In ODF 1.1 we switched to the 2nd edition of the XSD datatype
specification. In that 2nd edition, the language datatype permits the
values defined by RFC3066. We therefor replaced our own definition of
the language datatype with a reference to the XSD language datatype.But
it seems we have overseen to remove the statements that did say what our
old language datatype was.

Michael

> If we wanted to match ISO 15836 exactly, we would widen the type to
> xsd:string and our remove our stricter requirement altogether and simply
> reference ISO 15836.    But I'm not convinced that this is an improvement.
>

> -Rob

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten